APC Forum

Antistatic storage systems

Jordan

For the most part I am using small plastic containers with plastic bags around them (to keep out moisture and prevent spillage) to store my chemicals. I am also using disposable plastic spoons to get chemicals out of storage. I have noticed that particles sometimes "jump" off of the spoon due to static. I am looking for a cheap antistatic storage system to reduce the chance of accidental ignition. I know wooden spoons are an option but I can't find a good source for them and some of the chemicals I use are known to absorb into porice materials like wood. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks All, Jordan

Cardboard or paper scoops. I know that trace amounts of chemicals will stick to the surface, but it's a small price to pay for safety.

I've used everything from IKEA kitchen measuring cups (teaspoon, tablespoon, half dl, and that sort of stuff) to PVC endcaps, with a drilled hole straight through, side to side, cutting in to the bottom, and stuck a wooden dowel in there, super-glued it stuck. And passed over paper scoops in the process. It's a bit of work, but the PVC endcaps with wood dowel handle, is probably the best i got to work with. Metal & glass lab equipment would be ideal, but sort of out of reach. Kitchen spoons work, but the shape isn't ideal.

On the topic of anti-static storage. There are different categories of anti-static containers. Some are like an anti-static bag. High conductivity on the outside, but insulated from the inside. Others are simply limited conductivity, such as high carbon plastics. For pyro, i would suggest the later. But then we have a tendency to bag, or even double bag our stuff even when in containers, and the plastic bags mess with the conductivity, so the only way to get around that would be an anti-static wristband, like i use for building & diagnosing PC's. Can't imagine actually using / working with that in a pyro environment, quite frankly.

B!

If you're going to use metal, I would use a Stainless Steel ladle from WalMart. It cleans very easily, extremely durable, and I see minimal static compared with plastic products from the dollar store.

The only thing I get concerned about is when it reflects light whether it be sunlight or indoor light because a few members have enecountered spontaenous ignition problems of comps on a piece of stainless. I try to work in the most shady area as possible or if indoors, keep the glare of the windows from the sun from reflecting off of any part of my workspace.

• Like 1

I use small stainless steel measuring spoons and scoops. I also have a set of stainless steel funnels. If you ever work with benzoates, you will notice a lot of static if you use plastic.

I do use plastic bowls for mixing. Lambent touched in it above, but there have been cases of ignition when comp was drying in stainless steel bowls set in the Sun.

Somy pyros do use anti static bands and anti static spray when mixing more sensitive comps.

Edited by nater

As well as a few things that have already been touched on, my stainless steel shelving is tied into a ground line that runs to a grounding rod outside the building. I chose to drive a separate ground rod from the one the electrical system ties into for added piece of mind.
Also you might consider a system for grounding yourself and your work-station. Some may say it's going overboard but I work at a grounded desk with a ground strap that I attach to my ankle but breaks away easily should I have to run. Of coarse when possible I work outside. There's no such thing as TOO careful.

• 9 years later...

The electronics industry has huge need for antistatic tools and containers. Antistatic bags, boxes and tools are easy to find, and, from the right suppliers, cheap in bulk. Synthetic fabrics can easily create static by natural body movement -get 100% pure natural fibre clothes, cotton should be common and economic.

In the days of big stores of fireworks there was often a earthed touch pad outside the building right by the door, you tapped the pad before entering.

I use small stainless steel measuring spoons and scoops. I also have a set of stainless steel funnels. If you ever work with benzoates, you will notice a lot of static if you use plastic.