APC Forum

Paulownia Charcoal

uncrichie

Hi all, I'm in need of some Paulownia Charcoal. There was person on APC (Algenco) that used to sell Paulownia Charcoal? Haven't seen him post in quite awhile. Anyone know if he is still making charcoal? If not anyone have other leads? Many thanks, Kurt.

Can you use something else? That is just as hot? Any reason you need the absolute hottest BP?

Eastern red cedar has been shown to be just as hot as Paulownia. And it can be found in any Wal-Mart and many other stores being sold as pet bedding. 2 x 1 gallon paint cans and you can have a TLUD that will crank out more than enough charcoal in a lazy afternoon.

I'm told poplar also makes pretty hot charcoal and any hardware stores should have them.

I just finished cooking up some pet bedding charcoal this afternoon. It's as hot as I need. 10% shell weight is almost to much lift for my 3 inch balls. And last night I lifted a heavy 250g 3" canister with a measly 18g :D

nothing beats a heavily pasted shell with no booster and ruthless paulownia if you where in oz i could help but i dont know about sending it overseas

I noticed Walmart sells alder wood in smallish bags for kettle smokers. Alder is said to make some hot BP.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just have my mind set on trying Paulownia to see exactly how fast, fast can be. I thought about Eastern Red Cedar (and other wood chips) but its alot of cooking for such little return, volume wise. If I can't find any paulownia I'll give the wood chips a try. Thanks. Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm in need of some Paulownia Charcoal. There was person on APC (Algenco) that used to sell Paulownia Charcoal? Haven't seen him post in quite awhile. Anyone know if he is still making charcoal? If not anyone have other leads? Many thanks, Kurt.

Sorry, I have tried several times to contact Al but have nothing to report. I am sending another letter down to him tomorrow, I hope he and his wife are OK, just retired.

Please do let us know if you hear from Al. I too hope they are OK.

Sorry, I have tried several times to contact Al but have nothing to report. I am sending another letter down to him tomorrow, I hope he and his wife are OK, just retired.

Dave, thanks for the update. Hope all is well with him, and you too. Kurt

I just heard from a very reliable source that he is alive and well attending to his strawberries. Too bad most of you never met him and his wife, they are incredibly selfless.

Thanks Dag! I actually saw the post on Fireworking too, lol. It's good news to spread tho!