APC Forum

4" Comet to report shell

skid68

When I first saw this shell I knew I had to make one. It worked pretty well, and I'm real happy with it.

Very nice, I like it. Build pics?

amazing. .!!

Great job! :)

Sweet !! timing on the reports were great, I'll have to look up how to make comets with report !! Thanks for the video.

Very nice, I like it. Build pics?

Sorry, no build pics. I'm terrible about doing that.

Thanks for the kudos everyone.

mkn, they are a fun shell. I need to get my timing tighter on the next one.

• 3 weeks later...
This is the basic of how the comet to report works , and yes the comet is in the tube .

post-13988-0-66525500-1401706270_thumb.png

Edited by pyroman2498

Very nicely done.

My favorite fireworks on the holidays are the deep reports you see go up but never see break. The the colors on this one are great and the timing is nice because you think it's over but it keeps on pumping out awesome .

Nice shell. Does the timing come from the comet composition alone?

The reports you don't see use dark report composition but I don't think I have ever seen it used in a public display. It should only be made by experienced pyros as it is made from chemicals you are supposed to never mix together.

I wonder if TR has ever done an alternating report, dark report shell? I have seen most of his rockets and don't remember one, but I bet it would be a neat effect.

I think he included a few shells with alternating photoflash and dark reports in his PGI display last year.

Nice shell ! great work! :)

comet to report shell are my favorites cylindershell !

Very nicely done.

My favorite fireworks on the holidays are the deep reports you see go up but never see break. The the colors on this one are great and the timing is nice because you think it's over but it keeps on pumping out awesome .

Haha. "Keeps on pumping out awesome" I love it. Thanks.

Nice shell. Does the timing come from the comet composition alone?

The reports you don't see use dark report composition but I don't think I have ever seen it used in a public display. It should only be made by experienced pyros as it is made from chemicals you are supposed to never mix together.

I wonder if TR has ever done an alternating report, dark report shell? I have seen most of his rockets and don't remember one, but I bet it would be a neat effect.

The timing is from time fuse. It looks just like the picture pyroman2498 posted. Thanks.

Nice shell ! great work! :)

comet to report shell are my favorites cylindershell !

Thanks! It was a favorite of mine. I'm for sure going to make more variations of this.

I really doubt that these insert are done in the way pyroman suggested. I made comet to report inserts for my

at 2:13 with quite precise timing.

They are made like this:

post-1965-0-83738200-1401776856_thumb.png

Composition is pressed with a rocket press and then drilled back to ensure good timing. Then just add flash and plastic or paper plug. The composition vas slow BP + 10% flake titanium.

Edited by Zmuro

I really doubt that these insert are done in the way pyroman suggested. I made comet to report inserts for my

at 2:13 with quite precise timing.

They are made like this:

attachicon.gif15mm ID comet to report insert.png

Composition is pressed with a rocket press and then drilled back to ensure good timing. Then just add flash and plastic or paper plug. The composition vas slow BP + 10% flake titanium.

there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it as long as your being safe. I got my information from a friend of ned Gorski. And he uses the time fuse method , but I do see a problem with this method as if you don't time it right the comet will still be burning as the insert is going off

Don't get me wrong. I didn's say that you are wrong, but I think my method is a lot easier.

Edited by Zmuro

I made a 6 shot comet/report cake using the method pyroman described and it worked great but as mentioned 2 of my comets were still burning as the insert exploded. The comet to report insert was still nice even though the timing was off. Unless u are shooting were there are other pyro builders the people watching never know the difference anyways. Nice shell skid. I will be making a shell like this soon. The cake i made was to make sure my inserts would work the way i planned

I would rather see the comet burn all the way to the report, and I think time fuse is essential in getting consistently tight reports. Using the comet as a delay might work OK but it will have to be adjusted with each different composition.

Don't get me wrong. I didn's say that you are wrong, but I think my method is a lot easier.

Mine was built the way pyroman posted. But I based my shell off of the master, Dan C.

He uses the time fuse method also. You can see the article on Fireworking.com

Here is his. It's gonna make mine look terrible. :D