APC Forum

Chemistry & Experiments File - Synthesis Nitrocellulose

pyroChile

File Name: Synthesis Nitrocellulose

File Submitter: pyroChile

File Submitted: 07 May 2014

File Category: Chemistry & Experiments

Here is a method to synthesizing nitrocellulose, can be mixed with acetone to achieve the desired viscosity.

Click here to download this file

Edit: Removed post Edited by BurritoBandito

Hello BurritoBandito!

This article explain the method of nitration with measure exact of reactives :) , then can be mixed with acetone to achieve the desire viscosity

Best regards!

=)

Hello,

Any NC can be dissolved in acetone, provided it is nitrated enough. This is the basis for making NC lacquer. Generally people use around 10% NC, to 90% acetone, by weight of course.

Might I remind you all that there is no practical discussion of HE's outside of the HE section. This is sort of borderline as it is.

My prefered method involves using H2SO4 and a KNO3 for a nitration bath. I allow the cotton to soak overnight, then wash furiously with an excessive amount of sodium bicarbonate and water (multiple times), followed by a rinse in boiling water to remove any residual bicarb. The resultant NC can will report with a sharp crack from a hammer blow.

So pretty much, H2SO4 is the only "hard to get" component of the set. Fertilizer, hell i'm not sure, but i think you should get away with AN... Sort of relevant since a lot of the "other" stuff seams to be on the road to banned in Europe, but AN isn't likely... Weirdly, H2SO4 have been hard to find around here, for years, but now they started selling 30% stuff in hardware stores, "for cleaning"...

Not that i'm sure 30% is enough for the purpose, but making NC would be a good way to get a pure product for NC-lacer in the future.

Sure, Michael Hiskey does some neat things with NC rather then BP, but i'm not sure i wanna go there. It makes sense, being smokeless, or, well, near, after you stick the rest of the chems in.

B!

My apologies Mumbles. I didn't intend on treading those waters. I will refrain from any further NC discussion.