APC Forum

Chemistry & Experiments File - Fabrication of aluminum flake powder from foil scrap by a wet ball milling process

pyroChile

File Name: Fabrication of aluminum flake powder from foil scrap by a wet ball milling process

File Submitter: pyroChile

File Submitted: 30 Apr 2014

File Category: Chemistry & Experiments

How make an aluminum flake powder from foil scrap by a wet ball milling process.

Click here to download this file

There's another article in the series about making flake aluminum powder from surplus aluminum foil, using a dry method. In concert with a friend, I tried it and was successful. The trick was to alternate ball milling it for twenty hours, open the container for four hours, and repeat. After a week or two, fine flake aluminum powder was the result.

The milling media was 20mm-25mm diameter steel bearings.

It worked but, it's labor intensive.

WSM

I've also had success dry milling aluminum foil. In my case I opened the jar once every eight hours for just a few minutes. It took me a solid week to get a decent product (of an unknown mesh size). I don't think I'll be repeating the process as it was indeed quite labor intensive. Edited by BurritoBandito

I tried it a couple of times. On my last attempt I almost caught my pyro picnic table on fire. Either the mill jar lid decided to come off (it was a Harbor Freight) or I wore a hole in the rubber jar. Thank goodness my wife was home. She saw the smoke and put it out. When I got home from work there wasn't anything left of the mill jar and a big hole in my table. Still unsure what happened but I imagine the steel media probably didn't help any either. And yes I was stopping to let it vent every evening. I learned then it's easier to buy it then risk a fire over 20 bucks of AL.

I have a question. This article does not indicate whether the jar is opened occasionally to air, or oxygen is injected.

A reaction of aluminum would occur if I do not open the jar? (closed with alcohol and oleic acid as indicated in the procedure).

=)

You might want to read more carefully if you think alcohol is involved.

You might want to read more carefully if you think alcohol is involved.

Hello.

You read the article?, Because in the procedure describes the use of alcohol (mineral spirit) (>100% w / w) plus oleic acid (5% w / w).

Best regards,

Marcelo.-

Edited by pyroChile

Mineral spirits are a hydrocarbon (C11H24). By definition, alcohols have a hydroxyl group (OH).
  • Like 1

Ok...

I write in "translate.google.com" and says "acohol mineral" in Spanish.

Thanks BurritoBandito for your explanation.

=)

PyroChile, I read your reply, and I thought - "How scary" that you could be hurt due to an error in translation! Pyro has proved to be a very enjoyable experience to learn, but I am SO thankful that I have this information in a language I am comfortable with! I am multilingual, and have discovered that certain languages are better suited to some needs. Italian or Spanish is best to describe emotions, but English or Japanese are best for technical issues. I am NOT fluent in German, so I cannot speak to that. I would point out that you were CORRECTED but not insulted by the poster who clarified alcohol vs. mineral spirits. Please ASK if something does not sound correct to you! This is a good place to learn, with kind, intelligent people who want to help you, but first and foremost to keep you safe!

• Like 1