APC Forum

EXTREME Nitric Acid Synthesis

JMAPscience

That's cool that you are interested in chemistry.

But, I somehow doubt that is a hood that will vent to the outdoors, or would contain a fire or explosion. A young mind can be very creative but many times feels invincible and doesn't always anticipate things that years of experience teach us.

I hope your parents are aware of your activities and just how dangerous they can be. If this is in their home they need to know of the dangers so they can help you plan for any accidents. I also have a feeling your acid is for things that go boom. Again, an extremely dangerous activity that can go wrong in thousands of meters per second.

Learn, get smart, but be safe! Which means having safety measures in place and the materials and tools ready in an instant for ANY type of accident. And make sure you protect your eyes, ears, and hands at all times.

Be safe.

You are obviously a very bright young man, but you are experimenting with something very dangerous that can ruin your eyesight, skin and lungs.

Please tell your parents what you are doing immediately. Stop doing any more experiments with Nitric Acid and flames until an adult is there with you.

Edited by hindsight

They know what I'm doing and my dad has explosive training since he is a cop and works to be on SWAT. My fume hood works great and I take all safety procedures. Do not assume my behaviors from my age.

JMAPScience: please don't take offense. These guys are just looking out for you.

Edit: After reading hindsights last post regarding your experience, I hope you don't think ill of me suggesting that you read this thread http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=22554. I respect your knowledge, but want you to stay safe and understand the consequences of incidents that may occur to anyone.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Hi

Nice, but even common old way of doing it.
Sulfuric acid is just cheaper for most people.

Your set up just needs some small improvements. Your method will yield much more acid if you would use a normal liebig cooler and use the vacuum exhaust and pass the gases over into a 3% H2O2 solution or over ice.

But still this method wil be quite interesting for people over in Europe, as it also works with other nitrates or straight fertilizer

Dear Andrew,

First of all, I would like to apologize for being a nervous Grandpa. BurritoBandito was absolutely correct when he said we are only looking out for your well-being.

It is also clear that you are quite literally a genius, way beyond your years in your knowledge of chemistry.

After a bit of research, I now recognize that you have been making videos of various reactions for at least a year, presumably with your father's knowledge (and maybe assistance). Your endeavors have included mixing H2SO4 & NaOH, NaOH & Al and lighting small quantities of mixed Mg and KMnO4. Your armamentarium includes metal powders, KClO3, HNO3, H2SO4, glycerin, Iodine and quite a good list of other chemicals. I also see you know how to use a blow torch. And you are no stranger, it seems, to standard Flash.

Happily, you understand many of the dangers of these reagents and reactions, you have a fume hood and a respirator and (sometimes) you wear gloves. You might also want to wear shoes when you light explosives. I hope you buy a face shield and use it, as well.

Many of us were once like you-- inquisitive and fearless. Then something happened. There are many stories on this forum of brilliant people encountering a catastrophic accident.

Please read the thread on safety. You are smart enough to understand it.

You are a wonderful creation. I will pray for your continued safe passage through this life.

--hindsight

Thank you I only wish to learn.

Hey dude , glad to see you joined the forums,

But I must say the set up isn't to safe . Your using rubber stoppers which will react with the nitric acid ( as I have experienced before ). The fume hood is nice but where it's located kinda makes me worry , it's in a room inside your house from my understanding of the email you sent me and the others. I must say I'm just worried to see you get hurt , I've known you for a while and I trust most of the stuff you do chemistry related.your a rally smart kid .Also I would like to say that if you need chemistry help , the admin(his name is mumbles ) on here is a college chemistry student and is really smart when it comes to Chemistry. He's nice person. Hop on chat at night and he is usually on

Anyways

Stay safe and stay green

~Steven

In about a month I should have a all glass set up and also I made a new heating mantle. I know the risks with the stoppers. A chemist I work with found that if you use H2O2 to dissolve the gas then the stoppers burn.

All together I got 32g of nitric acid (2 grams less then my theoretical yield since I used .5 moles of reagents)

Edited by JMAPscience