APC Forum

green tailed star

superspike23

Here is a formula that I made when I was starting pyrotechnics.

Kclo3 38

barium nitrate 38

charcoal 13

red gum 6

dextrin 5

I remember only used acetone to wet the composition
I began ...

But the stars were drying easily and were ignited quickly without prime

post-1567-0-31829700-1398452903_thumb.png

A better solvent would probably be water because of the Dextrin or Denatured because of the RG. If you are using Acetone, might as well remove the Dextrin, practically useless IMO.

Dextrin is a fuel as well as a binder. Removing it might alter the burning characteristics. You could take it out if using a solvent other than water, but you know it will burn as designed if you leave it.

This is the way I see it:

Red Gum : Binder :: Dextrin : Fuel

Although both not their primary strengths (Red Gum as a binder, and Dextrin as a fuel), you're correct in as it is still one.

Looks like Weingart green, that someone touched up to make use of redgum instead of shellac.

Anything wet with only acetone is bound to be fast drying, and being "driven in" should be impossible. Sounds like a nice star. You cut em i presume?

B!

This is the way I see it:

Red Gum : Binder :: Dextrin : Fuel

Although both not their primary strengths (Red Gum as a binder, and Dextrin as a fuel), you're correct in as it is still one.

Strength or not, it is a fuel and a pretty good one. Which I don't know how that makes it worthless?

I tried another batch of stars with this formula but by wetting with water + alcohol.
The result was bad.
Difficult to ignite and not nice tail

No, the stars were very hard and unbreakable hand.
I mixed the chemicals quickly.
I just used 2 sheets of newspaper and kitchen roll.

Looks like Weingart green, that someone touched up to make use of redgum instead of shellac.

Anything wet with only acetone is bound to be fast drying, and being "driven in" should be impossible. Sounds like a nice star. You cut em i presume?

B!

I used red gum because I had no shellac.

It looked like a nice green to me. Did you use a different charcoal? Maybe airfloat this time and something more coarse last time?

Charcoal is the only thing that would really give a tail so I would imagine something changed with it. But the color was good and probably even better in person. I have found a good green is actually one of the more difficult colors to get right.

I used charcoal for bbq sold in bags.
I used a hammer to turn it into powder.

the only difference was the wetting.
acetone or alcohol + water

Edited by superspike23

Strength or not, it is a fuel and a pretty good one. Which I don't know how that makes it worthless?

Worthless to me as I've never seen or used it as a primary fuel. Show me a formula with just Dextrin as the fuel or where Dextrin is significantly higher than any other fuel like Red Gum. I'd honestly love to see.

I just received my pump crossette.
I'll do a lot of this composition and try my tool at the same time.
I show the video.

I only really know of one formula that primarily uses dextrin as a fuel. It's still unsourced, and honestly doesn't look like that great of a formula to begin with. It's at least out there, originally coming from Wouter Visser's webpage.

Potassium Chlorate: 60%
Sodium Bicarbonate: 20%
Dextrin: 20%

I don't really consider dextrin to be that good of a fuel. Sure it has some fuel value, but generally as long as it's used in relatively small amounts it can be added or removed without much change in the performance of the star. It definitely has less fuel value than red gum or other commonly used normal fuels. If you want to get a better idea of this look up some information from Mike Swisher or 50AE. They have quoted some real life values in the past for various fuels. Usually it will be in terms of grams of KClO3 to burn 1g of fuel, or the other way around.

Those sparks are definitely from coarse charcoal, and not anything inherent to the formula itself. Grinding it finer very well could change the performance and color. Are you sure the water bound stars are dry and not driven in? That's the only thing I can think of that would make them harder to light, and that much slower burning. Charcoal likes to hold onto water, which might be your issue.

Dextrin has a higher fuel value than lactose and while it may not be as much as red gum, it is something. I think if you look up the posts by Mike Swisher, as mentioned, he will be in agreement with this.

I have seen a blue formula where the only fuel is dextrin and others where dextrin is a high percentage of the fuel.

I have also made stars with the same chemicals and where the only difference was the binder used and when not dextrin, it was omitted. To my eyes, they weren't as good as when the dextrin was included regardless of binder.

I wasn't trying to argue and you may feel it isn't a good fuel or that is "worthless" which is fine, but also an opinion. Fact is, dextrin IS a fuel, and many times is a 'significant' percentage of the formula's fuel value. If you include it, you know the formula is complete as designed. If you omit it, you don't know how the burn characteristics might change. That was all I was trying to say. IMO, YMMV, ROTFLMMFAO, ETC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who recalls seeing that blue formula. I just couldn't find it. I thought it was from Petri Phiko, I was unable to find anything close with an initial search.

It is on passfire, in the old forum posts. My subscription needs to be renewed so I can't look. I thought I had it in my notes, but haven't found it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any possible way to do this formula/general effect with kclo4? I do not have access to kclo3 and this would be a great horsetail or bow tie shell effect.

Thanks all, Jordan