APC Forum

2 rocket test,

superspike23

Hi,

I tried two small rockets.
The cardboard tube measuring 10 mm * 50 mm.
I used this tool:

http://www.oliverbrown.co.uk/acatalog/10mm%20rocket%20tooling%20close%20up%20(Custom)%20(2).JPG

Here is the video:

What do you think of these rockets?

Edited by superspike23

I made 2 new test today.
I added 20% charcoal vine in the 60/30/10 mixture.
For the second rocket, I added 20% more aluminum.
60/30/10 is 20% C 20% vine AL

http://youtu.be/YHSeMvY8f1w

I can not get a good result.

Did you ram a nozzle?

Are you adding the additional material to the delay or all of it?

If you just add it to the delay portion, you will get a spark trail the whole flight, won't slow the motor down, and a few other negative effects from adding metal around the spindle. I explained why you get a spark trail the entire burn in another part, when the metal is added only above the spindle tip.

I would say to get a more powerful motor, you need more powerful BP without and metal or charcoal. Use the fastest you can make and see how it does. If you get a CATO then add 5% coarse charcoal slow it down and see how it flies. Keep adding small amounts of charcoal until you get a powerful, yet reliable motor.

I personally like to make the hottest BP I can which I can use as is in nozzleless rockets, or I can add the most charcoal possible, and therefore best tail, to slow it down enough for use in nozzle core burners.

Get your powder hotter and your motors will also be more powerful.

Number two actually looked good. It had a nice spark trail but needed more height.

Try leaving out one of the charcoals so you can reduce the number of variables affecting performance. Save your aluminum until you get your basic rocket BP to consistently perform. Once that consistency is achieved, then add your variables like aluminum and/or vine charcoal.

edit - your videos are good source for your future reference but also keep a paper trail of your exact procedures. When you DO get a rocket lifted to your satisfaction, you can repeat the same procedure.

Edited by Bobosan

I tried a new rocket.
I stuck a shell on it to see if this little rocket engine can lift
The composition is always 60/30/10.
For the delay, I added 20% al.

http://youtu.be/mgCpU1y8lm8

I think I can not do it with these little rocket engines

Did you use a clay bulkhead? How much delay was pressed? Looks like the delay or bulkhead blew through, prematurely igniting your heading.

I used clay to the nozzle.
1/5 length.

But for the top, I have not used.
The oliver brown's site says not to use to top
:

The 10mm rocket making tool is made from stainless steel and is ideal as a starter set, it is cheap to run and can lift a small payload to over 100 feet.

The tool can also be used to make inserts for aerial shells or larger rocket headers

To use this set you don't need any fancy fuels or presses, just a straight forward black powder based rocket fuel and a soft mallet. Some users report great results with 60% KNO3, 30% charcoal and 10% sulphur. Simply reduce the KNO3 to the finest powder you can either by using a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar, then using a standard kitchen sieve add the charcoal and sulphur and keep sieving for a few minutes, thats it! Of course other ratio's will work so have a play.
Once you have mounted the tube on the tooling, set a 2 gram bentonite plug, this works well to form a nozzle and when finished compacting the fuel to the top of the tube you are finished, no need to use a top clay plug.

the delay was pressed 1/10 lenght on top

Edited by superspike23

Maybe I missed it, but what charcoal are you using?

That is slightly bigger than 3/8" which can use hot fuel. The ratio list it's usually for larger motors such as 1 lb and up. I would try using hotter BP and use something like 75-15-10. If this ends up too hot and blows up, you can slow it down with additional charcoal. Or go nozzleless, and don't press a clay nozzle.

You can get them working, you just need to experiment.

is vine charcoal.

I tried the 75-15-10 but it is too powerful.
it explodes the nozzle clay.
I have not tried without nozzle.

My opinion is that a rocket engine so small can not lift a shell 20 gr

To start, try using delay that is the same comp as your fuel. If your motor is 10mm ID, try 10mm worth of of delay. Each increment should be enough fuel that is presses to 1/2 ID, or 5mm in your case.

20g may be too heavy unless you are using a really good motot in that size. Have you flown these motors without a header? Try getting them flying with their own weight, and then add a small bag shell header on top. Keep is simple while you dial the motor in.

Don't give up! Rockets, especially BP rockets take some effort to get working just right. They can be tricky at times and ramming them makes them a little harder to stay consistient. Don't use any headings until your motors are flying well. Your last video sounds like your fuel was a little slow. It had a nozzle, right? How did yoh fuse it? Like was posted already, a little quick match stuck all the way in the core will get the core burning at the top from the beginning and give you more thrust.

Also, to get more thrust you can try different ratios of fuel. 60/30/10 , 65/25/10, 70/20/10, 75/15/10 can all work for rockets depending on your spindle, charcoal, milling vs. screening, nozzle vs. nozzleless, etc...

Let us know how you make your fuel and rockets and we can help figure it out and get them flying.

Hmm, looks like your fuel isn't milled much.

Got a loose burn video?

Try extending the core (...I would drill it, and do, but there are risks with that. Just do it slowly and omit the metals, I don't want to be responsible for some freak accident) if you don't feel like getting your fuel hotter.

You'll need more "fuel above the spindle / drilled height" depending on how much you drill. But that's something easy to experiment with.

Don't give up, unless your not having fun, this is the best part of pyro!!!

Edited by jessoman