APC Forum

No frills rockets from misc. tube pieces...

Blackthumb

I never toss anything away that could hold some kind of pyro. Looking at a large bin of tube pieces of odd lengths and diameters, I decided to turn them into impromptu rockets. Here's how.....lots of fun and no tooling needed!!

Comments please...

Ihttp://youtu.be/4IEmU8jleRI

Have fun.....

Blackthumb

Great video, I enjoyed watching.

I love such little projects, they are often more rewarding than the bigger ones. I'd put some small salutes on top.

You should remove your fuel bottles and the stuff in the dishes (looks like stars and BP granules?) from the working table while ramming and drilling. Or a least take out the amount for a motor and screw the lid back on.

I rammed a lot of little BP rockets, including some with metal delays and I never had trouble, but there are horrorstorys of ignitions caused by ramming even with BP.

Well he uses a wooden rammer, so i wouldn't worry ro much about ramming the Ti containing composition, but using a power drill for drilling isn't very clever. If you look back, we had just last week or the week before one guy who had a engine blowing up, cause of use a power drill.

If you do that, don't hold the engine in your hand.

Also like mabuse already mentioned, you have live compositions all over your place, combined with some technics witch are knlw to be not the safest, this just ask for an terrible accident, which could easily prevented.

Such a small Rocket igniting in a place like yours would take out you whole shop. But if you take a quitw fireproof room qith only your needed things, ramm you rockets, store them in a box with tight lid and drill them afterwards outside or in a room containing no easy burning material clamped into a vice, you would propably able to go away with a shock and maybe some minor burns but keep your House/Shop and maybe we are also talking about life/limbs

The issue with titanium is not with it impacting the rammer. It's the concern over it sparking or causing ignition from impacting another particle of titanium. For this, it doesn't matter what material your rammer is made from. There is also the issue of titanium particles marring, gouging, and galling your tools, but that isn't usually a safety issue, it's a practical issue of damaging tools unnecessarily.

Thanks all for pointing out some safety concerns. Sometimes we get distracted and become a bit sloppy which can be costly. I will remove the video so as not to promote bad judgement and remake.