APC Forum

1/2 HP motor too much for run a 3kg jar (with 87 lbs media) ?

whitewolf_573

I tried to find something but i couldn't.

I have a 1/2 HP motor (1500 RPM), and i want to run in my ball mill (that i am making this days xd) a 8" jar with 3kg bp and about 87 lbs lead hardened media (29 lbs x 3, as there are 3 gallons volume).

It that too much weight for the motor to handle 1 3 gallon jar ?

Or should better use a 1,5 gallon jar (about 1,5 kg bp and 43,5 lbs media ) ?

In a future (some months) i would change the motor to a one able to handle two 3gallons jar , like 1,5 or 2 hp jar , but i would want to stick to my 1/2 hp motor for now.

How much weight could handle a 1/2 hp motor (it is a TEFC , or at least has a fan in the back) ?

Should you really be considering 87lbs of lead remember that with the jar and powder you will be lifting 100lbs to tip the powder off the balls, you will need a good sieve to hold all those balls off the powder.

As for the motor, try it! Maybe a soft starter will help soften the jolt as the motor switches on and the belt goes flying off!

I will just try as it has a fun so if it is too much load will stop running as i have read. First time only the lead balls with no bp ( i could use 3kg of something not flamable as suggar xd)

And yes i will have to make a good sieve :)

• Like 1

Yeah, one gallon is pretty heavy and a bit rough on tools. 3 times that will be a pain. Is there any reason you need to make over 6 lbs of BP at a time? That is a bunch of BP for a hobbyist.

You could use ceramic and make it quite a bit lighter. That motor would probably turn it fine but might not start it great.

To be honest, I think you'll be alright. The motor will be able to spin the load without a problem. The only issue I can envision is the start up load. Some motors have a capacitor start that delivers a short burst of more power to get the load turning. After that, the power to keep it continually rolling is less. You might have to give it an assist in starting, but then it'll be fine.

There is a company named Diamond Pacific that makes large industrial rock tumblers that are used in a few professional pyrotechnic setups I'm familiar with. Fully loaded even with ceramic media, the jars are about 75lbs or more. These mills only use a 1/3HP motor.

• Like 1

Yeah, one gallon is pretty heavy and a bit rough on tools. 3 times that will be a pain. Is there any reason you need to make over 6 lbs of BP at a time? That is a bunch of BP for a hobbyist.

You could use ceramic and make it quite a bit lighter. That motor would probably turn it fine but might not start it great.

Perhaps 3kg bp is a bit more than i need for me , that i hadn't been doing pyro for a long time because some problems I though to use a 3 gallon jar if need to use more bp than 1 - 1,5 kg ,and just store it propelly, although that has it risks.

I supposed that i could take the necessary steps to make the storage all safe possible (yeah ,there are always risks , this is pyro , but trying to minimize the risk everything possible.

I was planing to use a metal box lika that used for save tools , to store bp and finished devices.

But to be in the safe side , a bit more, perhaps better just jave two jars of 1,5 gallons and only make 1,5 kg bp, and if sometimes i need more just make more , but no 3kg allways (at least until no really need every time milling bp)

To be honest, I think you'll be alright. The motor will be able to spin the load without a problem. The only issue I can envision is the start up load. Some motors have a capacitor start that delivers a short burst of more power to get the load turning. After that, the power to keep it continually rolling is less. You might have to give it an assist in starting, but then it'll be fine.

There is a company named Diamond Pacific that makes large industrial rock tumblers that are used in a few professional pyrotechnic setups I'm familiar with. Fully loaded even with ceramic media, the jars are about 75lbs or more. These mills only use a 1/3HP motor.

Thank you mumbles , i thought that should be enough with my 1/2 hp motor , but as many peoble say they do 1 kg bp with a 1/2 hp, i though i need a bigger one for 3kg.

I think i will stick with 1,5 kg bp, for the moment.But i could use some times two jars if need more bp or milling a fuel or oxidizer for a composition.

So know if the motor handles 3kg would be a good think. I will make two jars and run first both to see :)