• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Sparx88

Sparx88

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

Doesn't the kno3 need to be dissolved for these to work? I've made them with varying percentages of water with alcohol and found that plain water produced the best most dense glitter flashes. Winokur 19 and 23 anyway.
If using red gum can you use dilute alcohol like 10% alcohol to water and have the red gum activate if let sit for awile in covered container?
                                                                                       .
Finding solace and comfort on my path of pyrotechnic illumination and enlightenment. Painting the sky with strokes of vibrant anticipation and freedom. From spark to spark, the chain reaction of beauty and power that ignite the imaginations and inspirations of young and old alike.        -my pyro sparxs- 

#62 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:everything that goes against the grain

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Doesn't the kno3 need to be dissolved for these to work? I've made them with varying percentages of water with alcohol and found that plain water produced the best most dense glitter flashes. Winokur 19 and 23 anyway.
If using red gum can you use dilute alcohol like 10% alcohol to water and have the red gum activate if let sit for awile in covered container?

That might be worth a try! 

Churchill, you're drunk.... Yes, Mary, and you are ugly. But i'm sober tomorrow.

#63 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

I'd encourage you to try my "Buttered Popcorn" glitter, also.  It's different.

It was inspired by the Winokur formula, but re-formulated for big, very gold spritzels.

(The formula is 'around'; no need to re-post here.)

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd, 21 February 2016 - 02:56 PM.

• spitfire and Zingy like this

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#64 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Buttered popcorn even has it's own dedicated thread.  http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/7018-buttered-popcorn-glitter/ 

You need a fairly high alcohol content to activate red gum.  10% is certainly too low.  I suspect you'll need to be north of 50% to get much of an effect.  I believe 70% isopropanol can work, though I prefer the 91% stuff.  You can probably get an idea for yourself by mixing in a scoop of red gum into various alcohol solutions.  Red gum is....well reddish.  The color of the solution can be used as a crude proxy for how much it's activating.  Not all red gum is created equally, so you may still notice some insoluble sand, dirt, etc. even if using straight alcohol. 

I firmly believe the nitrate dissolving is primarily responsible for the different appearances of pumped, rolled, and cut glitter stars even when made from the same formula.  There are a lot of factors at play between density, particle sizes, and potential chemical reactions. 

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#65 bigbuck

bigbuck

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

you are using magnalium 200 mesh?? can you also roll these stars??

#66 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:11 AM

You can roll almost all glitters, at least I haven't had any problems with them. The crucial thing with glitters is how fast they are dried. One day in the shade and then to the sun or drying chamber.

#67 AzoMittle

AzoMittle

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, Algorithms/Data Structures, & Food

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

If you are rolling glitter I would recommend a non-water based binder. Phenolic works well.

Terminat hora diem; Terminat author opus.
The hour ends the day; The author ends his work.

Oh lente lente noctis equi!
Slowly, slowly run oh horses of the night!

Perfection does not exist, but that does not mean you cannot work constantly to attain it.

The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. . . . The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're going to try to see it. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't. . . . The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness. -David Foster Wallace

#68 bigbuck

bigbuck

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

do you just prime with bp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users