APC Forum

"Exotic" woods for charcoal

Sparx88

I use a family heirloom hybrid of willow, plum, eastern cedar, and alder. Golf ball tests show that it is similar to willow, but I feel that it is a little bit faster. Good luck finding it, as I have the only grove of it on my property.

Anyone interested in the manufacture of ricin from castor beans (or the production of anthrax spores, or botulinum toxin) please contact my associate, Mr. Aleksander Bortnikov, at the following address:

Federal Security Service (ФСБ)

Lubyanka Square

Moscow, Russia 119169

Or call 8 (495)696-71-71

They will be happy to come to you to discuss it.

Edited by hindsight
  • Like 2

At the risk of stating the obvious, two of the plants mentioned in this thread bear a bit of caution. Species identification of sumac is important, since "poison sumac" can cause a severe contact allergic skin reaction and, if burned for charcoal, the inhaled smoke can result in lung injury.

Absolutely correct. The sumac I used was Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina). When burned, all of the rhus have smoke that ranges from merely irritating to toxic.

Kevin

Lesson learned from this thread: Strike Mimosa hostilis and Sumac from the list of charcoals to put in your hookah.
  • Like 1

Be careful... I read on CNN that a college student was arrested for making ricin.

OP, I tried pistachio shells a few months back (just for shits and giggles) the charcoal/powder wasn't worth the effort (to ashy) but I got a lot of enjoyment out of referring to the experiments as Pistoichiometrics B-)

Edited by Wolverine

I'm not sure who mentioned anything about making poisons and drugs in this thread, I know I didn't. But if thats what makes a mimosa tree bad then yah, forget that, let the hummingbirds have em. Good heads up on that whole poison thing, don't need any of that for sure.

I'm not sure who mentioned anything about making poisons and drugs in this thread, I know I didn't. But if thats what makes a mimosa tree bad then yah, forget that, let the hummingbirds have em. Good heads up on that whole poison thing, don't need any of that for sure.

It stemmed from soras links, esp the castor plant, if you don't know how that applies reference the 1st 10 words of post #27 and or ask Walter White.

I use a family heirloom hybrid of willow, plum, eastern cedar, and alder. Golf ball tests show that it is similar to willow, but I feel that it is a little bit faster. Good luck finding it, as I have the only grove of it on my property.

Was this supposed to be a joke?

• Like 1

Yeah.

Just poking a bit of fun, since every charcoal I've ever made has made hot BP. This includes mystery twigs from many different trees collected from the ground in northern Wisconsin, bark, dirt and all.

Edited by pyrokid

Gotcha. Cause that tree wouldn't grow.

Yeah, most charcoal I have made from stuff in the yard will make BP as hot as Goex when milled for three hours in a good ball mill.