APC Forum

Time fuse cutters. Wolter, Ben or Chinese...?

jl88

Hey all,

I have started to search for a time fuse cutter and as much as I would like to buy a cheaper Chinese fuse cutter they are un-available and also I keep hearing that "the poor man pays twice" a lesson I seem to have not learnt many times...

So I set out looking for a quality unit. I have rocket tooling from both www.wolterpyrotools.com and Ben at www.firesmithtools.com and they are both exceptionally machined and constructed. However I have a multi star plate on order from Ben smith and when I asked for a price on a time fuse cutter he can combine shipping and will be only slightly dearer than Wolters.

I definitely like bens more as it can punch and cut time fuse precisely, wolter has a tool that can also do this but is more expensive again. Also bens can cut much longer time fuse, but would love some first hand opinions if anybody has tried them...

Also on a side note, what are the biggest shells that can be practically made with 1/4" time fuse?

Many thanks,

Jack

If I were going to purchase a cutter, I would lean towards Ben's. I like his design a little better than Rich Wolter's since it also incorporates a time fuse punch. What kind of shells are you building? The precision of these cutters is ideal for tight timing in rondells or simultaneously timed effects. If you are handy with woodworking, you might be able to make one yourself. http://www.pyrobin.com/files/img_0179.jpg

I know some builders who use two good quality time fuses on 12" ball shells. Commercial shells from China often use 2 time fuses as a backup in case one fails for some reason. What kind of shells are you making? If you are only using time fuse for a single break, you might be happy with the accuracy of a ruler and sharp razor knife. Dan Creagan offers these instructions for making your own: http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/timefusecutter.html Kyle has a similar article on Passfire to make your own time fuse cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU8y6BS1pfc that is my interpretation off a cutter and it works great if you do make your own make it as robust as possible

I started on 2" shells and the timing was fairly easy to get close to apogee. Now I am making multibreak shells and the timing is a little more of an issue, I would like more consistency. Also, I would like to begin making time report shells as they are quite impressive. I have also made a 4" shell, but I didn't have a mortar to launch it... Good to hear about being able to use 1/4" for larger shells as bens allows for much longer fuses to be cut.

I would still love to hear some first hand reports if anyone has any?

Why not ram spolettes for larger multi-breaks?

im really not even familiar with eithers cutters they have on the market im aware that i think skylighter and some others sell a type and they are very breakable the lever almost pulls the screws out where the hinge is mounted to the base

other than that if you have some basic tool and some materials it would be eaiser to build one and cheaper but id say wolters and bens makes would be quite good if you can make one with reliable results or buy one that is robust as what youd make at home id just suggest go with the cheapest option

Hey Nater, thanks for the reply. I did look into rammed spoulettes, but if time fuse was an option, I would prefer to use that for simplicity.

The time fuse cutter looks robust leedrill, I like it but I'm useless at woodwork and I'm sure I would end up overspending!

I took the plunge and ordered Ben smith's "revised" fuse cutter. Apparently a few modifications from the original. I will post a review when I get it, unfortunately it won't be here until mid may by the time it's posted to Australia...

Edited by jl88

A fuse cutter from Firesmithtools (Ben) is on my list to get next. I have been dealing with Ben for quite a while. I am an engineer and I appreciate Ben's designs and workmanship they are both top of the line. I have some Wolter tools but I lean more to Ben's tools. I have two of his star plates, two star pumps, his deluxe Spollette kit and one his press all excellent pyro tools .

You can't go wrong when you go first class and Ben is first class

Gil V.

Edited by gilv58

I got this little guy in the mail today, from micro-mark, and it works surprisingly well. Cheap too. :)

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/20140324_190115_resized_zps62c9cb17.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/20140324_190124_resized_zps107a7e97.jpg

I did have to file the handle a little though, so it would cut through the width of time fuse. You can see in the second photo.

It would be pretty easy to use a router to make a channel to guide the fuse and add a stop for precision measurement like the more expensive cutters. Good find.

• 3 months later...

I love Ben's tools but I am not a fan of retrieving the cut pieces of time fuse from the cutter, there is too little space to pick them up. The one I made is very simple and easy to get the handle out of the way and pluck off the cut fuse.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2608.jpg

• Like 1

$110.00? Thats a lot of scratch for a simple machine, I think I have about $7.00 into mine.

That's for both the cutter and punch, Dag. I have to agree it's bit pricey but to someone without the tools and know how to make one, it might be a good deal. Pretty simple devices actually.

• Like 1

beware if you can figure out how to punch time fuse clean and safe let me know and clean hole for yarn size BM.It looks simple like anything till you try it.The acccuracy is exactly what gruccis was needing.They had punches and cutters but for the price huh try it let me know.

Your good dag but you know you have limits,lol If 110.00 dollars is pricey why do i have so many pre orders my life is now hell making! I couldnt ram a motor if i tried,lol

wait till you see the pasting machine

Edited by pyropro

Sorry Jeff, I just dont like the punch, way to much work for a hole, PYROPUNCH is a much better tool for less money. The time fuse cutter is lookin good but it has to be under $50.00.

thats fine dont like something thats easy to use i completely understand.A punch for 45.00 like one stated where you slam a hammer into it or have to lug a heavy arbor press around with it makes a nice hole.I made this for convience,by the by if you have never used it how can you say you dont like it is the color wrong?I always let the market determine the price not individuals.The market hasnt a cutter like mine and you know it for anywhere near the price. Look some people cut when the talk some take it just that simple.Im just a guy who refuses to take crap from people who just cant say anything nice.Says more about them than anything. Im not here looking for endorsement but customers that need with affordable tools that work.

Edited by pyropro

No need to get upset Jeff, I just dont like they cumbersomeness of your punch is all. I dont use a mallet with the one I kept in my pyro box, you just have to push down with your hands, EZPZ.

If i could i would go for ben's cutter, it's just about perfect and willl give very consistent results and you can work really fast with it. Seeing the cutter from jeff, well I'm sure it works, but for my feeling i trust the plastic blocks too long (specially i would assume that you can easly damage it at the screws which hold the blade). Also the blade is quite exposed. About your punch. It is the same like the pyropunch dag posted above, just made from plastic not from metall and dosn't looks very nice at all.

The press you deliver could easy be left out and an normal arbor pres being used, which everyone should have arojnd or gett used with a hammer, using a screwdriver as handle doesn't speak for your press at all.

If you need a cutter for on the go, i would stay with lenght measurement device and a knife and for punching use some hole punch pliers and have proper things at the normal workstation. You always can prepare timed fuse before you leave

how much is Bens cutter or punch? Mine are all made from PVC and most sturdy.Curious if you would trust after say making a ten inch ball shell and you wanted to make sure the core was removed properly to get ignition you would trust using a belt punch?

Edited by pyropro

I have had one of Ben's fuse cutter for a while, not the cheapest piece of tooling I have invested in but it will last a lifetime and does everything you could ever want to do with a time fuse.

I would be lost without it.

yeah he makes great tools I have one of his custom spindles that makes a three pound rocket look like a 6 pound.The average Joe just cant afford the 450.00 dollars to cut punch a simple fuse.people think to core punch a time fuse is easy till they try.Yes easy to put a hole into a piece of fuse I can do that with a nail but to core a fuse is another matter.My fuse station will last forever for $110.00 .

I have one of Wolter's time fuse cutters, and love it. Its definitely a purchase I will never regret.