45 replies to this topic

#21 mikeee

mikeee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

They need to think outside the box on this one.

Biggest problem is the mortar and a location to shoot it.

They need to find something that will work as the mortar and then design the shell to that size.

Makes about as much sense as building a bullet and then looking for a gun that can shoot the bullet.

Does it matter if the shell is 54", 55", 56", 57", 58", 59".

The mortar and location will be the expensive part.

If they could find a location out in the desert and install the mortar, they could reuse it each year.

I would check around with the scrap yards and oil industry for something that might be the right size for the mortar.

The oil industry use large diameter pressure and reactor vessels that could be converted to a mortar.

They do make large size HDPE pipe but it is made off-shore to order. They make fiberglass but it is very expensive for that diameter.

The mortar installation will need some major foundation work to absorb the lift charge.

A location with good solid footing will be expensive to dig the hole for the mortar.

A location with soft soil will be easy to dig the hole, but will require a great deal of foundation footings for the mortar.

• Jordan likes this

#22 ddewees

ddewees

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Shoot it in New Hampshire, and just drill the hole/mortar right into solid granite.

#23 Bobosan

Bobosan

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:pyrotechnics, electronics, collectable firearms, women....but not necessarily in that order!

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Me thinks ddewees is trying to break off the Atlantic coastline to match the Pacific one. :D

Edited by Bobosan, 29 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#24 hindsight

hindsight

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

Me thinks ddewees is trying to break off the Atlantic coastline to match the Pacific one. :D

It wouldn't be his "fault".

#25 Bobosan

Bobosan

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:pyrotechnics, electronics, collectable firearms, women....but not necessarily in that order!

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

True, obviously San Andreas's fault even though it's on west coast.  You know him? :whistle:

Good one hindsight.  This is starting to "crack" me up.

Edited by Bobosan, 30 March 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#26 hindsight

hindsight

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

"Quaking" with laughter.

#27 pyroman2498

pyroman2498

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Organic chemistry(PhD) ,physics, and the Art and beauty of pyrotechnics

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

While you guys are thinking of shooting it from a mortar I would more think to launch it on a rocket , the pressure and force from the lift may split the shell causing a disaster, a rocket may work better if you could get a engine large enough . I mean NASA and SpaceX launch really heavy things into space , also have they taken into account that if it does flower pot that it would be massive. Just a few things , I haven't really looked into this much but when I heard this I thought I would give my thoughts
NO MAN LEFT BEHIND

​The Origins of "Stay Green" - http://www.fireworks.../green-man.html

MAPAG member (7/25/14)
Licensed NC Display Assistant (3/31/17)

#28 Niladmirari

Niladmirari

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:pyrotechnics, rockets, astronomy

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Imagine whistle motor for this shell and he sound of his burning  :wacko:  Stick stabilizer - cedar tree entirely, all tree  :D

Edited by Niladmirari, 31 March 2014 - 03:01 AM.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard". John F. Kennedy

My works: http://www.youtube.c...r/MrNiladmirari

#29 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

cplmac2 (see youtube) did a 12" shell on a 3" whistle motor with a stick that would do an estate agent proud.

#30 nater

nater

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Good coffee, mountain biking, snow skiing, and pyro.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

This project is still going forward, they just suspended the Kickstarter campaign while they were looking at cheaper methods of taping the shell than a custom WASP.  As for using a rocket or a plane, that ruins the spirit of the challenge which is to launch the World's largest firework shell. This implies launching from a mortar rather than as a rocket heading or other type of device. 

Ddewees, we work with a team who performs night skydives with pyrotechnics.  There are some hurdles getting approval from everyone, but it is possible.  I suspect it might be easier with this team since they use custom close prox devices and their plane and pilots are all owned by them.  They're also not dropping 5 ft shells, but still, I would think it could be done with enough planning in advance. 

Proud member of HPA

"We show women love on Valentines Day, and they let us blow stuff up on the Fourth of July." - Homer Simpson

#31 taiwanluthiers

taiwanluthiers

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Seriously building a gun this size has got to be like the Paris gun or something. You know takes days to deploy, require an entire Batallion of men to man them, etc. and that's just for one shot. But I guess going for a world record is never easy...

#32 mikeee

mikeee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

If I was doing this I would drill the hole drop in a steel tube and pour concrete around the steel tube to reinforce it.

They will need a good amount of footing in the bottom of the hole to keep the mortar from sinking into the ground.

This will require some good sized equipment to drill the hole and lift the pipe etc.

#33 Bobosan

Bobosan

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

Just use a decommissioned ICBM launch site somewhere in Kansas.  The hole should already be there.

#34 taiwanluthiers

taiwanluthiers

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

You still have to do something about all the doors and vent ducts... I think missile silo has a vent duct to allow the gas to vent safely outside rather than being contained within the tube, fine for a rocket launch but not good if you want to use it as a cannon. Plus I think those silo tubes are at least 30 feet across... if anyone built a shell that big it will be a true world record for sure!

Edited by taiwanluthiers, 01 April 2014 - 10:51 AM.

• pyrokid likes this

#35 ddewees

ddewees

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

http://www.americana...es/60-1200.html

#36 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

You still have to do something about all the doors and vent ducts... I think missile silo has a vent duct to allow the gas to vent safely outside rather than being contained within the tube, fine for a rocket launch but not good if you want to use it as a cannon. Plus I think those silo tubes are at least 30 feet across... if anyone built a shell that big it will be a true world record for sure!

Wow, you really just have no idea how to interpret sarcasm, do you?

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#37 taiwanluthiers

taiwanluthiers

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

I had no idea there was even sarcasm.

#38 Bobosan

Bobosan

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I had no idea there was even sarcasm.

Well obviously they really couldn't use a missile silo. Wasn't being serious.

The hole would be there though.  Like mikeee said, slide in the tube, fill in around it! :P

#39 hindsight

hindsight

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

When reading something in a non-native tongue, subtle wit can sometimes be lost. That's why we need a "sarcasm" emoticon [insert facetiousness emoticon here].

#40 pyroman2498

pyroman2498

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Organic chemistry(PhD) ,physics, and the Art and beauty of pyrotechnics

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Let's call this shell 5000lb that means we need about 500lb of BP to lift the shell . I see a crater in the future ....
NO MAN LEFT BEHIND

​The Origins of "Stay Green" - http://www.fireworks.../green-man.html

MAPAG member (7/25/14)
Licensed NC Display Assistant (3/31/17)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users