APC Forum

Fuse Making - Wrapping, Twisting, or Braiding?

Extrarius

Weird. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Only other suggestion i have then is... Add weight to the thread spools on the second winding. Something like a 5g washer laying on top of each one, might be all it takes. That is, if it's the first layer causing the twisting, adding torque from the second one might straighten it out... But honestly i have no idea. Good luck, keep sharing your findings.

B!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to find the cause of the excessive twist torque today and it actually seems now that the second layer winding is at least amplifying if not causing the twist as it winds onto the first layer....even if I shut down the first plate to a complete standstill, the second plate is able to create a situation where the machine still winds the inner layer in one direction and the outer in the other....and with enough intensity to cause a similar torque twist. Intuitively, on first glance, this seems quite impossible, but having observed the mechanism in action I have to admit that it still works :blink: The spiral is reversed for the inner layer coming down from first plate, so the second plate manages to wind the layers in opposite direction by applying torque around the same axis. Aha....axis of symmetry, chirality, degrees of freedom, vector mathematics....makes all the sense now :D

A rather peculiar setup for the type of enlightment, but no less rewarding though ;)

So the solution would be to lessen the relative rpm-s of the plates to avoid the total turns per lenght of fuse.......to do that I would have to use thicker threads on the second layer to cover the frist one with less turns per length. Right now it is the opposite: I use a very thin thread and spin the second plate like a mad hatter to cover the fuse.

Simplistically the thicker thread on second layer with less rpm-s should work......I guess the experiment will tell the truth.

For all intentive purposes one can create the same opposingly wound structure with just one turning plate....well, duh, taking into account the relativite nature of speed it seems very obvious now! :unsure:

Edited by markx