• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 nater

nater

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Interests:Good coffee, mountain biking, snow skiing, and pyro.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I have been considering make a small batch of copper benzoate to experiment with its use a fuel in whistle compositions. I have opted not use ammonium perchlorate since I do use potassium chlorate for a few things, so a few AP compositions are out. 

Proud member of HPA

"We show women love on Valentines Day, and they let us blow stuff up on the Fourth of July." - Homer Simpson

#22 AzoMittle

AzoMittle

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, Algorithms/Data Structures, & Food

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

Bit of a thread necro but I felt this needed to be added:

I was able to find the resin he mentioned: http://encyclopedia2.../Phenolic Resin

That page is an entry from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It contains the exact image OP posted for his resin. It appears to be a novolac resin. Wikipedia says the following:

Hexamethylenetetramine or "hexamine" is a hardener added to crosslink novolac. At a temperature >90 °C, it forms methylene and dimethylene amino bridges. -https://en.wikipedia..._resin#Novolacs

Here all of the formulas given directly:

(AP = Ammonium Perchlorate; KP = Potassium Perchlorate; NC = Nitrocellulose; SrN = Strontrium Nitrate; BaN = Barium Nitrate; Hex = Hexamine; Phenol = Novolac/Phenolic formaldehyde resin; CuCl = Copper (I) chloride; NaOx = Sodium Oxalate)

Base Red
60 AP
15 SrN
20 Hex
5 Phenol

Base Green
60 AP
15 BaN
20 Hex
5 Phenol

Base Blue
60 AP
15 CuCl
20 Hex
5 Phenol

Base Yellow
70 AP
10 NaOx
15 Hex
5 Phenol

Violet (12 Red : 88 Blue)
60 AP
20 Hex
13.2 CuCl
5 Phenol
1.8 SrN

Purple (25 Red : 75 Blue)
60 Ap
20 Hex
11.25 CuCl
5 Phenol
3.75 SrN

Magenta (50 Red : 50 Blue)
60 AP
20 Hex
7.5 CuCl
7.5 SrN

Turquoise (12 Green : 88 Blue)
60 AP
20 Hex
13.2 CuCl
5 Phenol
1.8 SrN

Aqua (20 Green : 80 Blue)
60 AP
20 Hex
12 CuCl
5 Phenol
3 BaN

White-Blue (25 Green : 75 Blue)
60 AP
20 Hex
11.25 CuCl
5 Phenol
3.75 BaN

Orange (12 Yellow : 88 Red)
61.2 AP
19.4 Hex
13.2 SrN
5 Phenol
1.2 NaOx

Yellow Green (12 Yellow : 88 Green)
61.2 AP
19.4 Hex
13.2 BaN
5 Phenol
1.2 NaOx

Prime

70 KP

25 AFC

5 Phenol

5 NC (Optional)

Bind with alcohol

Edited by AzoMittle, 25 May 2016 - 07:49 AM.

Terminat hora diem; Terminat author opus.
The hour ends the day; The author ends his work.

Oh lente lente noctis equi!
Slowly, slowly run oh horses of the night!

Perfection does not exist, but that does not mean you cannot work constantly to attain it.

The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. . . . The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're going to try to see it. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't. . . . The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness. -David Foster Wallace

#23 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Phenolic resin has been used for quite some time especially by the Chinese and some other countries. It's only fairly recently becoming popular in the US.

It can be found but James Widmann of WASP fame that owns CTpyro for selling his machines has imported a lot from China and has been selling it for a few years. It also works with hexamine to cure the resin where it can be used in large comets that cure/dry/harden quickly as opposed to having to wait for a solvent to evaporate.

Anyways, just a bit more info on phenolic resin.

Edit: more info

Edited by FlaMtnBkr, 24 June 2016 - 06:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users