APC Forum

Need Titanium powder based composition.

pyrodoc

Hi all,

I am getting lucky this week as one lab technician friend of mine is giving me 500 grams of Titanium metal powder.

I need few compositions to make use of it.

Doc

You need to give us some details. Of what shape and size are the particles?

Titanium in charcoal stars like C6, C8, Tigertail ect. is quite popular and good locking.

He hasnt got the details like size and shape, as he says that it was kept in a sealed pack written Titanium metal powder 99.5% purity.

Any way to determine the shape and size of the said powder?

I found this article

http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2013/07/can-titanium-be-added-to-any-firework.html

It gives a driver composition which mentions contituents as parts. It doesnt add up to 100. I have read in the forum that its not necessary that the compositions add upto 100% everytime.

Suppose i want to make 100gm of the composition, then the 20 grams titanium is added over and above the 100 grams of other mix??

Regards

Doc

it could not matter less what it adds up too. people just normally adjust it for a formula so it looks better. And yes if you want 20 grams of ti in your mix you add it on top of your other chems you dont need to adjust them. but you may need to experiment with the amounts of ti that you add.

Any way to determine the shape and size of the said powder?

I think we can make some estimation if you take a close distance Photo together with an object of known size.

But anyway, just try it and see if you like it or not, that's what's important here. All sizes and forms will make some kind of spark or just white light if they are very small.

I am getting lucky this week as one lab technician friend of mine is giving me 500 grams of Titanium metal powder.

SURPRISING!!!!

According to “Loba Chemie” the price of titanium powder is INR 5750/100grams.

I think it might be titanium dioxide or anything else. Ask your friend to check it well.

• Like 1

SURPRISING!!!!

According to “Loba Chemie” the price of titanium powder is INR 5750/100grams.

I think it might be titanium dioxide or anything else. Ask your friend to check it well.

Will post a picture here once i get my hands on it....Still, it rings a bell in my ear...

I hope it looks different from dihydride or dioxide powder

It is quite impossible to assure you about the purity of titanium just seeing a picture but I would rather say that It must be some high purity titanium if it’s a sample from your “sealed packet written Titanium metal powder 99.5% purity” as a very few concern in India sells such high grade (almost AR grade) titanium and they have enough reputation to rely with. MERCK and LOBA are two such concerns but they only have 98% pure titanium powder and a name of such reputed concern must have printed on your sealed packet.

I am actually interested with the shape and the high mesh variations of your titanium which I have never ever seen in a lab grade metal powder. So I would request you to let us know the name of the chemical concern that we can try to get some.

It is quite impossible to assure you about the purity of titanium just seeing a picture but I would rather say that It must be some high purity titanium if it’s a sample from your “sealed packet written Titanium metal powder 99.5% purity” as a very few concern in India sells such high grade (almost AR grade) titanium and they have enough reputation to rely with. MERCK and LOBA are two such concerns but they only have 98% pure titanium powder and a name of such reputed concern must have printed on your sealed packet.

I am actually interested with the shape and the high mesh variations of your titanium which I have never ever seen in a lab grade metal powder. So I would request you to let us know the name of the chemical concern that we can try to get some.

This pic is from my cell phone camera. Will try to click a pic from a better cam.

I have asked him to get me the company name.

They look somewhat like machine chips from processing Titanium stock.

Yup doesnt looks like powder. Will upload better pics today.

Much better pics.

Can the seniors here comment upon the mesh size and shape?

Which all compositions can i use these titanium powder?

post-18917-0-62656600-1393475638_thumb.jpg

post-18917-0-56444000-1393475763_thumb.jpg

For the mesh size noone will real, y be able to tell you witch size it is, but compared to you kitch roll you took the picture on, it looks like a good size.

To get the size, get some screens and grade it. Use 20, 40, 80 and 100 Mesh to get the different common sizes.

The shape is more of a flaky type, but quite thick. These looks more like chips you get from hammering the material.

I would assume that they are would be best used for brocade type effects.

Try a coiple things:

Get a torch and put in onto a low to medium flamme and sprinkle some of the stuff into the flame. The titanium should ignite and give you an idea of hoe it 2ill look if you titanium burns.

Make up some stars like TT and add around 3-5% of you titanium and shot it from a test gun.

I wouldn't worry about trying to screen it. You would probably just ruin the screens by getting metal stuck in it.

It is what it is. Pick a formula with titanium in it and try it. It looks to be a good size and will probably produce nice long lasting sparks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can the Titanium posted in above pics be used in Ned Gorski's fairy fountains? He mentions spherical titanium but these look like small chips/turnings etc

Is it ok to Ram the titanium i got vs spherical titanium?

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like great Titanium for small to medium fountains, gerbs and larger stars. I suggest just add some to let's say a Thea cup of black powder, and gently ram a fountain with it. Make sure you use a brass, aluminium or wooden dowel, to prevent friction and possible sparking. All though the chance is very small, better safe than sorry! Looks like great Titanium to me looking at the pictures. Try it in different comps and items, you will find a nice application for it one way or another. Good luck!

Edited by spitfire

Feel the metal between your fingers! If it is smooth and dusty it's much finer than if it is gritty, guess that gritty will make bigger sparks so would be part of a bigger device.

I am pretty sure that the sparks were produced due to bursting of tiny crackling micro stars and there was no titanium. This type of small crackling fountains are very much popular right here in India. I have made one with a bit larger granules and slower fountain composition and here is the video.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Never used Titanium .Is this an example of Titanium sparks?

hi pyrodoc,

no they are called dragon eggs. just titanium pops are not that loud..these are same things as you find in a firework named chut-put but theses are with a coating of metallic powder ..

• 3 weeks later...

Titanium gerbs, titanium stars are nice too,

if it's coarse enough and you know what you're doing you could make a Titanium salute. It's up to you.