APC Forum

Boosting agent

Liftanddeafen

Hello all, I'm a making a 6" shell this weekend with Bp as burst, and I always use 70/30 kclo4 and sodium benzoate as a booster. Could anyone recommend a better booster and the amount that will be needed, or a general rule for the amount needed in a particular sized shell. I've always used a booster on bp to extend the burst size but not to a great standard. What do the japs use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With a 6" you should use Meal Coated Rice Hulls, or the equivalent. The Rice Hulls are a "bulking agent" that allows you to reduce the overall weight of the shell, and the overall amount of BP in the shell, without sacrificing burst strength.

I would probably suggest using JUST that in a shell this large, unless you are looking for a particularly hard break. The BP alone will actually give a good break, as long as it is quality BP anyway. IF your break is not satisfying on this shell, THEN start thinking about adding a booster.

IF you must, I'd probably stick with the "whistle" mix you have been using, since it's what you know.

With a 6" you should use Meal Coated Rice Hulls, or the equivalent. The Rice Hulls are a "bulking agent" that allows you to reduce the overall weight of the shell, and the overall amount of BP in the shell, without sacrificing burst strength.I would probably suggest using JUST that in a shell this large, unless you are looking for a particularly hard break. The BP alone will actually give a good break, as long as it is quality BP anyway. IF your break is not satisfying on this shell, THEN start thinking about adding a booster.IF you must, I'd probably stick with the "whistle" mix you have been using, since it's what you know.

. Do you think I'm stifling the burst with too many layers of gummed tape then? Cheers will

It works the other way around. Additional pasting or layers of gummed tape strengthen the shell, allowing higher pressure to build up before the shell breaks and resulting in a harder break.

I've heard that some people follow a rule where they use a gram of flash per square inch of shell.

I haven't tried out this rule, so I wouldn't know how well it works. Plus I haven't used flash as a booster.

I usually use whistle as a booster in my shells.

my opinion is very mute because i have not really made many shells or experimented with different layers but in my opinion more layers and no booster is a much nicer break { but i do enjoy some of the really hard flash boosted shells ive seen} but i see no need for booster in anything above 2 " shells