APC Forum

Is it possible to make h2O2?

oriansbelt

Hydrogen peroxide is miscible with water at all concentrations if I remember correctly. This means you have a homogeneous mixture (uniform). That means you cannot seperate by denisity as in a heterogeneous mixture. If H2O2 was not miscible with water then you could just a little bit of ozone wait a few minutes and then repeat the cycle until you had a very high conc layer of peroxide.

As I said you will either one have to find a supplier of high test peroxide(80%+) or you will have to invest shit loads of money into your peroxide distillation set up and find a seller of moderatly high peroxide(30-50%). Making peroxide rockets is an investment. If don't have the money or the sources your kinda stuck. 2nd off if you decide to go this route you will probably have to sell some of your distillate in order to "stay in bussiness" or at least still have a roof over your head.

The only economical oxidizer for someone like you would probably be O2 in either liquid or gas phase. O2 gas can be easily found at a welding supplier place. And if your idea doesn't pan out then you won't be stuck with a $10,000 paper weight.

Yeah I know all that about the miciblilty of it, I was just trying to design a simple way to make the highest percentage possible from water and O3 so that money wouldn't be a problem in getting large volumes of H2O2. After I get that "raw" product I'd steam off the water as much I could with out much loss and try freezing after that or maybe making a vacuum chamber and steaming it again in there for high percentage.

I don't want to invest a huge amount of money in this that is y I am trying to make and concentrait the peroxide before I even start with the rocket. It is more of a "is it even possible" pursuet than a "I'm going to do this no matter what it takes."

Yes I can get O2 very easily but I just got inspired to try H2O2 because it isn't that popular of an oxidizer and the rocket design is very simple if I ever get that far ^_^ .

are you aware that H2O2 in high concentrations detonates?

Hello, this is my first post here, and i just want to tell people about my experiences with H2O2, i was a test pilot for a Jet Pack, or jet Belt. 90% of my job was creating the fuel, or, actualy, stilling the fuel to be in a HIGH concentrate form, up to 96% H202, and it doen not detonate. im sure other people have stated this. it requires a decomposer to explode, well, not explode, to decompose explosively.

I quit the jet pack pilot job. it was the most dangerous thing i have ever done. and i am an Aerobatic pilot, and a BASE jumper.