APC Forum

This wasn't one of us was it?

skid68

Wow! I hope not. Sounds like he was to no good to me.

It sounded from the article as though it was purchased and not homemade. So I don't think so.

No way a "legal" cracker blew off his hand, rattled a house, and "blew out several of the jeeps windows, and knocked off it's dashboard"

Unless you mean he bought the homemade device, and didn't make it himself.

Edited by skid68

Maybe the guy just wanted to have some fun waking people up with a loud bang, but I guess the device blew up before he even had the chance to throw it.

if you play with fire you'll get burned.!

I agree that it may have been more powerful than a compliant cracker, but that does not mean it was homemade either.

If he had a closed fist around it, a 50mg cracker could still do some major damage. My bet is it was a larger cracker of some type. The "M-1000" sold around my parts are regular crackers.

It is also possible he emptied the contents of several crackers to make a bigger one. That is how my uncle lost his eye in the 60s.

They must be extra dumb to think a legit M-1000 would have done that. Absolutely no way.

Still even if he had dumped out the flash of an entire box, it's not going to sever a hand off at the wrist. Maybe take some meat off your hand, a few fingers, but not the entire hand!

They must be extra dumb to think a legit M-1000 would have done that. Absolutely no way.

Still even if he had dumped out the flash of an entire box, it's not going to sever a hand off at the wrist. Maybe take some meat off your hand, a few fingers, but not the entire hand!

Yeah usually those legal m-1000s only contain 50 mg of flash at most, so you would need to have a lot of those to even come close to a m-80 like device.

Someone on Pyro U posted about Mexican crackers dubbed M-1000 that are known to pop up on the West Coast. He said they often contain 60g or more of flash with plaster end plugs. I have not seen those around the Midwest and it sounds like we would not want to anyway.

No way a "legal" cracker blew off his hand, rattled a house, and "blew out several of the jeeps windows, and knocked off it's dashboard"

Unless you mean he bought the homemade device, and didn't make it himself.

Did I say legal firecracker?

It sounded from the article as though it was purchased and not homemade. So I don't think so.

You kinda did

• Like 1

First of all always take anything you read in the media with a grain of salt. This is especially true if the story has to do with something that most people don't know much about except for what they see on tv. This means fireworks, firearms, fast cars, technology, etc.

Large salutes go by different names in different regions in this country. On the East Coast you normally hear the term Block Buster or M-250 used. In the Midwest it's usually called Quarter or Half stick, the West Coast likes to use the terms M-100 and M-1000. I know people into pyro in many parts of the country and know this to be true.

In Mexico they do sell several powerful salutes that typically have their own names but I'm sure get referred to as M-etc when they are sold to Americans. More than likely he made it or it came from a bootlegger originally. The guy probably had one too many drinks and thought it would be funny to light the cracker and throw it out of the window. Somehow he missed the window or dropped it and it exploded as he tried to get it out of the vehicle. This is not unheard of. I specifically know of several of these incidents, one involving a 1.75" report shell that the guy tried to scare some people with. It bounced back, the lift charge fired and he tried to pick it up and throw it out. Not enough time. Lost most of his arm and destroyed the vehicle. The roof was completely buckled and the windows blown out. Usually ATF doesn't prosecute these individuals but will try to get information about the source or use them as guest speakers at press conferences in lieu of fines/prison.