APC Forum

Less Dangerous Impact-Initiation Compositions?

Extrarius

One of my main interests in pyrotechnics is impact-ignited fireworks, especially smoke-producing devices. The main resource I've found on creating such devices is the book "Impact Firecrackers", which reads like one long violation of safety rules from "normal" pyrotechnics information (chlorate with sulfur plus further catalysts and/or sensitizers, armstrong's mixture, etc). Random online sources mention even more dangerous substances - high explosives like fulminates, picric acid, etc.

By definition, impact-initiation compositions are going to be more dangerous since they are designed to be shock-sensitive. The shock-sensitive compounds will only used in minuscule amounts inside larger devices, but I'd like to be as safe as possible, which brings us to my question:

Are there are less dangerous mixtures to achieve the purpose of initiating a device on impact?

That is a complicated question and you understand why. The same characteristics of these compositions that make them well suited to impact devices make them dangerous to produce and handle.

I wouldn't call chlorate and sulfur a complete violation of safety rules. Plenty of guys use similar mixes for salutes and crossettes, and similar compositions have been used for a long time.

Silver fulminate is used in consumer fireworks, albeit in small amounts.

In my opinion, a bit of sensitive composition on the end of a smoke device for the purpose of initiation isn't unreasonable.

• Like 1

I agree with pyrokid's above post.

I do remember reading a small guide on the old krimzon pyro site made by rat bastard for making an impact smoke device by using toy paper caps as a crude igniter for the kno3 smoke mix, but I haven't really tested it to see how safe it would be

• 5 months later...

oooh this has caught my interest, impact initiated smoke disks.
I recall one time i managed to make large smoke bombs of a somewhat unique design which burn with a smoulder, no flame, and extremely fast also, a 100g paqtty would burn in 2-3 seconds if initated from the center.
Something like that would go perfectly with an impact initiator.
But, i dont think that its possible to make anything reasonably safe, or practical to use at least, if your going for painting some stuff onto a smoke bomb, smoke bomb just being a potential example.
theres no doubt there are safe ones out there, such as chlorate based mixtures, which will hold for quite some time if properly contained, but, for mixtures such as those, you need to build a friction source, you cant rely on the material itself for that.

what i would do is use wood rubbing against cardboard though in a tightening cone shape with a friction sensitive material between the wood and cardboard tube. like having a match that you punch into a matchbox striker ring to ignite.
it would be like an impact initiator button, but a bit bigger and more powerfu, depending on your material.
alternately, you can use something like a weak armstrong mix, or silver fulminate, and turn it into a solid, that wont ignite until in that situation until enough force is applied to break the bonds, in which situation it will be acting like glue.
theres heaps of safe substances to use, you just need to put in some extra effort to manipulate them.