APC Forum

2oz. and 4oz. rocket tools

asdercks

Hi everyone, I'm trying to build my own set of tools and was wondering if anyone has the measurements of the spindles(lenght, taper etc) and Rammers for each set of tools, I also wondered if I could make my tools based on the designs of the rocket sketcher program, (lenght of spindles seem to be longer than the ones sold from pyrosuppliers and the number of rammers for the 2oz. rocket seem too many).

there is a lathe workshop (not CNC) near my house and they're willing to make me a set of tools but I just need the measurements. I really hope someone can help me out.

thanks.

Edited by asdercks

The rocket tool sketcher program is certainly valid for specs. The spindle is a bit longer than standard, but this is advantageous for getting more power out of BP rockets. You may try cutting the spindle down by 1/4" or so if you're worried about it. As for the 2 OZ set, 3 rammers will do. Both those operations can be done within the program.

-Hunter

For small id motors like 4oz, you can use off the shelf 1/4" brass rod for the spindle and 1/2" aluminium tube with 1/8" wall thickness for a hollow rammer.

If you put a slight taper on the spindle you`ll only need 2 rammers, one hollow and one solid. Tuning the spindle for the fuel is pretty straightforward, either start with a long spindle and cut pieces off until it stops cato`ing. Alternatively, start with a short spindle and progressively increase the core length by drilling it deeper each time until it starts to cato, when you find the sweet spot make a spindle with that length.

Edit: simple 4oz tooling, spindle: 1/4" brass rod, hollow rammer:1/2" od x 1/8" wall aluminium tube, base: 3/4" od x 1/8" wall aluminium, Solid rammer: 1/2" stainless steel. Epoxy the spindle into a short section of 1/2" tube (angle the top at 30 degrees) and epoxy that into a piece of 3/4" tube for a base.

post-10522-0-81199300-1390151498_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

The rocket tool sketcher program is certainly valid for specs. The spindle is a bit longer than standard, but this is advantageous for getting more power out of BP rockets. You may try cutting the spindle down by 1/4" or so if you're worried about it. As for the 2 OZ set, 3 rammers will do. Both those operations can be done within the program.

-Hunter

thanks for the tip Hunter

For small id motors like 4oz, you can use off the shelf 1/4" brass rod for the spindle and 1/2" aluminium tube with 1/8" wall thickness for a hollow rammer.

If you put a slight taper on the spindle you`ll only need 2 rammers, one hollow and one solid. Tuning the spindle for the fuel is pretty straightforward, either start with a long spindle and cut pieces off until it stops cato`ing. Alternatively, start with a short spindle and progressively increase the core length by drilling it deeper each time until it starts to cato, when you find the sweet spot make a spindle with that length.

Col as always your help is much appreciated