APC Forum

Exicution Pumpkin Design

Warlock

Hi I was wondering if someone might know of a propellant to do this design safely....What I want to do is this...Have a pumpkin with a foot tall flame or sparks shooting out of his head on command.Meaning that this is going to be computer controlled.Set to fire about every 20 seconds or so..I might even motion detect it so when the beam is broken this goes off...I want it to be safe and not burn the pumpkin or have this go outta control..I'd prefer to do sparks as it would look relaly cool but the shooting flames would be a great option to have as well...So any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Joe...

Please either reply to the board or to me directly at Teknokolor_Dreamer@hotmail.com and use the subject of Flaming Pumpkin so I know who this is from..

Thanks again

Joe...

Sounds like pressurised Propane released via a solenoid valve is going to be the easiest, safest way to create the effect you're looking for... Does THIS thread help atall?

I don't think it's possible to create spark effects with propane as a fuel, at least I've never seen it done... If you really want sparks, you might want to consider using a solid fuel like lycopodium or creamora, with the spark-producing material mixed in.

Interesting...What would I use ???? Can you give me a like a set up of how it would be done ???? PLus how it would be controlled using a relay board that would be cued off a PC...What voltage of trigger would the solonid need etc...

THe PC voltage could be 5VDC through a solenoid to trigger a higher voltage DC solenoid valve to open and close. You can use the serial port outputs for the trigger. Check out X10.com for their automation software. I have used their PC remote software in the past with my laptop to trigger squibs during weddings to ignite various fountains as the bride walked down the aisle. We had mini fountains enclosed in clear PVC so as the bride passed by a motion sensor, the next fountain would trigger on either side of her. Did that a couple years ago and it was excellent (got paid a fortune for it to!)

Just have presurised propane, with a pilot light that ignites it when you release it electronically, obviously this is not ideal and at all refined, but keep it simple is important.

Please tell me more info..Telling me to use pressurized propane honestly tells me nothing about the equipment I would need to make this idea happen..So please give me more info then that...

Thanks

Joe..

We're not going to spoon feed you a design, you need to figure that out for your self. Having said that I will add that it could be done a number of ways, it just depends on what you have available to you so start working on it with the supplies you can get and if u have a specific problem then ask us for help, don't ask us to design stuff for you. Sorry if I'm being to harsh.

Ok what I was asking is say I'm going to use propane for my propellant...What valve would work ?? A BBQ valve system yes/no ???

Umm lets see..Would the cylender being at only 20 lbs of pressure be wnough to get a flame about a foot higher then the pumpkin????Wuld the push button start from a BBQ lighter be wnough to trigger it to jump that high ???How long would the flame last and is there a way to time it ??IF so how wouold you electronically time it and would the timer off a DMX lighting board work ???This is basically what I as trying to ask..Not specifically asking you to draw it out...Mainly asking for suggestions from you pros on how to do this right and have it be safe as humanly possible...