APC Forum

Dont wanna get poisoned

shouldnoteatindat

i am planing to start making things with aluminum powder what kind of precautions do i need to take?

Aluminum isn't poisonous. A respirator will give you basically full protection. Those paper dust masks are better than nothing, but I really prefer a half-face respirator with real cartridges. That will keep nearly 100% of all dusts out of your lungs.

MOst spills can be avoided by care with the handling of the materials Spatulas not spoons don't touch your face with your gloves/hands.

Which things :) screening can be quite messy, you can mix some comps in a static resistant bag or tub. The only exposure then is loading( the unloading can be wet comp)

Dust mask recommended and don't forget that if fine chems get airborne they take time to settle.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

A respirator will give you basically full protection.

Since the topic was poisons, i'd agree, but in my usual way, i want to stick something else in here to. Eyes. When working with insoluble powders, especially metals, always wear eye protection. For someone with glasses to start with, it might look stupid to wear a ski-mask or something, but please, do it. Scratches on the cornea does heal but might cause alterations to how the light passes through the lens, causing your eyesight to suffer. It's a cheap precaution, use it.

B!

• Like 1

My take is we're each susceptible to different poisons to different degrees. As a kid, 1960-63, I got away with all kinds of experiments with all kinds of dangerous chems with no lasting harm. Today, I've got to be very careful of allergic reactions.

I was exposed to industrial epoxy that contained some pretty nasty stuff and after the fact learned I was supposed to wear a respirator with organic vapor cartridges, a 'bunny suit' and gloves. I wasn't offered them and no one else used it. I learned this when researching the MSDS after being diagnosed with rare blood diseases (3 in total) at the age of 23 that are basically bone marrow failures. I have been sick for 11 years and will be for the rest of my life. I am disabled and in pretty bad shape and realistically my life will probably be cut significantly short.

While not everyone will get sick, some do and it often is not minor. You can risk it, but I always use as much safety equipment as possible. Especially a good respirator, eye protection, and gloves. It is easy to do, and trust me, it is worth it.

I also try to avoid the nasty chemicals and use a different formula or just forego certain effects. It is amazing how much can be done with a bag of KNO3 fertilizer, sulfur, home made charcoal, some aluminum, and a roll of kraft paper. Throw in some baking soda, flour, corn starch, and glue and you can stay busy for years. Throw in a little KClO4, benzoate, a couple other types of aluminum, and some titanium and the doors are even wider and nothing is particularly poisonous though small particles are never good for lungs. Wear your respirator!