APC Forum

Orange stars formula

ChloRure

Hi,

I am looking for an orange stars formula, I only tried the veline one that look good, but would like to try something new and I dont find any orange formula.

Thanks

Kp-40

MgAl-22

CaCO3-15

pvc-15

RG-6

Charcoal-2

I've been pleased with Electric Orange:

Potassium perchlorate 53

Calcium carbonate 14

Magnalium (200 mesh) 6

Parlon 14

Red gum 9

Dextrin 4

Rolls nicely too!

FBH

He has already tried velines orange star formula and he need other formulas.

I didn't realize electric orange was only a slight variation of Velines orange. Sorry, that's all I've got.

I will come out and say it. I hate calcium oranges. They just look dirty to me. I've had good luck with the following formula, as well as optical oranges. Optical oranges are created by mixing red and green emitters to get an orange color.

Independence Tangerine
Strontium Nitrate - 42
MgAl (-200mesh) - 12
Parlon - 9
Saran - 9
Red Gum - 8
Potassium Perchlorate - 10
Sodium Oxalate - 10
Dextrin + 5

For optical oranges, I take a formula set that has barium nitrate and strontium nitrate interchanged, such as Ruby Red and Emerald Green (http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/2192-ruby-red-and-emerald-green/) and just use a blend of strontium nitrate and barium nitrate instead. You can make every color on the spectrum from green to red this way.

For a nice yellow I've been using 61% barium nitrate and 39% strontium nitrate (55:35 as per Lloyd Sponnenburgh's suggestion). For orange I had been using 50:50, but I've been leaning toward more of a 45:55 split. You can adjust to suit your preferences of hue.

• Like 1

Sorry to stray off topic, but mumbles do you know the ratios for an optical blue using Barium Nitrate and Strontium Nitrate?

There isn't one. This color spectrum is probably more accurate than what you usually see as a color wheel, which has green and red opposite, as opposed to 120 degrees apart as they are in reality when dealing with light. You can make everything between red and green. To make a blue, you'd have to have a cyan and purple colored star.

http://asmartbear.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/RGB-wheel1.jpeg

Independence Tangerine

Strontium Nitrate - 42

MgAl (-200mesh) - 12

Parlon - 9

Saran - 9

Red Gum - 8

Potassium Perchlorate - 10

Sodium Oxalate - 10

Dextrin + 5

Why two chlorine donor? Parlon and Saran.

That's just the way it is. Probably to adjust burn rate. It is a commercial formula, so things like that matter.