APC Forum

Difluoroethane

LambentPyro

I use Difluoroethane (Dust-Off) to blow a few mixture spills or sawdust on the floor outside and was wondering as far as we know if any reactions can occur between our common Pyro chemicals and this substance. I'm not sure if it is inert or not and I'd figure I should ask for your input.

I know it would probably be easier to use compressed air, but our air tank is broken, so I had to use what's laying around the house.

Thanks.

A broom works well in my experience

Yea but I kind of dont want to waste a broom, because it will get stuck in all the bristles.

if i remember correctly Difluoroethane has a very high vapor pressure and a really low boiling point and will evaporate before it has a chance to react with anything but it will build up in a room and make the risk of an inhalation hazard " inhalation of 1,1-difluoroethane caused a fatal cardiac arrhythmia" . So becarful, and if you can use a broom , or use a air compressor

Dollar stores usually have brooms.

The only common thing in pyro that the gas out of the can might react with is probably fire.

Dollar stores usually have brooms.

The only common thing in pyro that the gas out of the can might react with is probably fire.

What about friction? Can the friction of the bristles pose a threat?

if i remember correctly Difluoroethane has a very high vapor pressure and a really low boiling point and will evaporate before it has a chance to react with anything but it will build up in a room and make the risk of an inhalation hazard " inhalation of 1,1-difluoroethane caused a fatal cardiac arrhythmia" . So becarful, and if you can use a broom , or use a air compressor [/size]

Several cans would have to be emptied to cause something like that. I am only spraying a few puffs of it just enough to blow it out the door. They would not manufacture something that can kill people when used correctly.

What kind of spills are they? Most comps aren't sensitive enough for the friction from a broom to pose a hazard. Even chlorate and sulfur containing flash shouldn't be an issue based on the sensitivity experiments I have done. So unless you have an armstrong's spill (or a primary HE) you should be fine using a broom.