APC Forum

welded wire mesh?

asdercks

Hi guys does any one know where can I get 8, 10 and 12 mesh welded wire mesh, I'm planing on making dragon eggs and micro stars screen sliced style

Is there any reason that it has to be welded? Most screens that fine are crimped or woven.

I just tought that welded screen would work bettet for slicing stars Edited by asdercks

McMaster-Carr has welded screens, but the finest mesh they have that is welded is 8x8 and galvanized. Have you tried using a woven screen yet? all of my screens are woven screens from mcmaster but i have never tried slicing stars with them, do you think galvanized mesh would be usable for slicing dragon eggs

http://www.mcmaster.com/#welded-wire-cloth-screens/=pg9wjp

I have never made drag eggs, so I dont know how stiff the comp gets. I also don't care much for the inconsistencies when screen slicing stars, so it is not a method I kept using. I don't have any trouble granulating different comps with my woven screens, even with a stiff BP putty ball.
  • Like 1

I am using woven kitchen sieves for deggs, it is a pita to clean up but not due to the construction of the screens. i don't want to pay for a good one or use a good one for this job even though ive had the same sieve for three years. the screen can be cleaned in acetone and the acetone can be re used, it will dissolve the comp between the wires... but you will never completely clean it.

nater: the comp gets as stiff as you let it, i make mine into thick cream then let it stiffen to clay before granulating it, you could of course cut or roll at a range of consistencies also

dan.

cleaning welded screens should be way easier than cleaning woven screens, anyway I'll try the welded screen just to see how the eggs come out.

• 4 weeks later...

I always use one of 3 sources when it comes to welded or woven wire mesh screens:

Mcmaster Carr - which people here have mentioned previously, however, can be a bit pricey when it comes to ordering larger quantities of mesh

www.bwire.com - Can also come in a bit overpriced at time - but can always supply you with what you need within a day or two.

www.grainger.com - hot or miss as far as having what you need in stock at the time that you actually need it.

Always be sure to seek out the best price when it comes to this material, because between sources, this price can swing wildly up and down.

Another thing to make sure of - ask for a sample before you place any type of order. You want to make sure you are getting the right size and the exact mesh that will work for you before you end up with a bunch of it ....

• 1 month later...

For some quality wire mesh you could also take a look at www.wiremeshes.eu. They produce wire mesh mostly for industrial purposes, but architecture and art is also something they focus on. Those materials are mostly woven, which is a good alternative to welded mesh (can be bend more easily, bronze can be bend even more).

Most of us will end up needing a square foot or similar... Of a bunch of different sizes. I'm finding it hard to see the manufacturer being ecstatic about selling such small sizes. Will they, at all?

I have to admit, my inventory of screens is very limited. I've been thinking about making some good stackable screens, both for sizing, mixing, screening, and cutting/corning things, but so far i've managed to get by on mesh from local hardware stores, even if it leaves me with a very limited selection. But i cant really justify buying rolls of material to make a single screen of each mesh, a pair, or even a couple of some.

B!

Most of us will end up needing a square foot or similar... Of a bunch of different sizes. I'm finding it hard to see the manufacturer being ecstatic about selling such small sizes. Will they, at all?

I have to admit, my inventory of screens is very limited. I've been thinking about making some good stackable screens, both for sizing, mixing, screening, and cutting/corning things, but so far i've managed to get by on mesh from local hardware stores, even if it leaves me with a very limited selection. But i cant really justify buying rolls of material to make a single screen of each mesh, a pair, or even a couple of some.

B!

I bought my 12"x12" woven mesh from mcmaster, they have a huge selection

I get mine from Grainger, they usually have what you need. It takes a little to get them as they come come from a 3rd party supplier. The price is really good though.