APC Forum

Purification of Kno3

asdercks

Hi guys,I just bought a 50lb bag of haifa multi k GG and I was wondering if I should I recrystallize my kno3 or can I just use it as it comes out of the bag, the stuff really looks good and as far as I can tell there is not a lot of debri on the powder although I know that even if the powder looks clean that doesn't mean there is no impurities present, so what do you think guys?

I wouldn't bother recrystallizing it.

http://www.haifa-group.com/products/plant_nutrition/multi_k_potassium_nitrate_fertilizer/multi_k_gg.aspx

It seems pure enough for our uses even with some minor contamination. Recrystallization would be a major pain in the ass, but if you're a small-scale hobbyist (with a 50lb bag that seems unlikely), you've got nothing to lose if you only wanted a few hundred grams to muck around with purified. I've been using two fertilizer grades of potassium nitrate since starting out and they have both worked fine. I had some lab reagent grade which I picked up for free and I couldn't honestly tell any difference when I made some black powder with it. Charcoal type and quality plays a much larger role still.

I have been using greenhouse grade Haifa crystals for a while straight out of the bag with no issues. I just bought a bag of technical grade Haifa, but I have not opened it yet to make any comparisons.

I only use greenhouse grade, can`t see much point in buying lab grade unless you dont own a mill. The Haifa looks to be 97.4% pure, i`d spend the cash you save on some decent charcoal.. it`ll make more of a difference.

I only use greenhouse grade, can`t see much point in buying lab grade unless you dont own a mill. The Haifa looks to be 97.4% pure, i`d spend the cash you save on some decent charcoal.. it`ll make more of a difference

and exactly what I did with the money I saved I got me some willow charcoal from customcharcoal.com

Hey thank you all for your replies, you guys really saved me from all the hustle of recrystallizing 50 lbs of kno3, although I did recrystallized 4 lb. while I was waiting for some replies to this post (kno3 still drying from the process), so I guess i'll have some kno3 to compare.

Most hydro grades of kno3 in my experience are up in the mid to high 90% range of purity. My last was closer to the 98-99%

Edited by pyrojig

make some hot bp with a good charcoal and test it against some commercial stuff, worst case scenario you just use more bp to list shells and fewer stars to get a harder break, not the end of the world.

I am guessing this stuff is plenty pure for BP though.

What are you using the KNO3 for? If its BP, its the same stuff that everyone else here uses. If you're using it along with sulfuric acid to make nitric acid to make NC, then, yes, purify it.

What are you using the KNO3 for? If its BP, its the same stuff that everyone else here uses. If you're using it along with sulfuric acid to make nitric acid to make NC, then, yes, purify it.

I just want it to make bp, but since this is the first time I used this kind of kno3 I thought i should ask.

never thought of making my own nitric acid

With a commercial grade of KNO3 all it needs to purify it for BP is to dry it! Otherwise the mill will just clump solidly.

Nitric acid has no place in fireworks manufacture and unless your practical chemistry is really good with good equipment the corrosive and toxic fumes will do more damage then you need to your room and lungs.

• Like 1

Hi, I use only Haifa KNO3, and the results are great, no need to purify it, although you can do it easly by dissolve it in warm water, filter it through cloth or filter paper, and cool it down to about 5 degree celsius, than dry it.

to tell you the truth, it is not worth the trouble, good ballmill and charcoal, and you will have great results.

• Like 1

Hi, I use only Haifa KNO3, and the results are great, no need to purify it, although you can do it easly by dissolve it in warm water, filter it through cloth or filter paper, and cool it down to about 5 degree celsius, than dry it.

to tell you the truth, it is not worth the trouble, good ballmill and charcoal, and you will have great results.

Thanks ice_maniac, the only thing I do now is to dry it in an oven for a couple of hours in case there was any moisture, and then store it with dessicant bags

• 2 months later...

Haifa has on there website Multi-K Absolute Potassium Nitrate which is supposed to be even purer than GG.

http://www.haifa-group.com/products/plant_nutrition/multi_k_potassium_nitrate_fertilizer/multi_k_absolute/

seems ok, any idea of the price?, my GG cost me $62.75 plus shipping from a hydroponic store, but I am sure it'd be more cheaper buying from haifa and not a reseller

Edited by asdercks

seems ok, any idea of the price?, my GG cost me $62.75 plus shipping from a hydroponic store, but I am sure it'd be more cheaper buying from haifa and not a reseller

They sell it by the pallet, I'm sure they wouldn't sell one 50 LB. bag.

They sell it by the pallet, I'm sure they wouldn't sell one 50 LB. bag.

I know they don't sell single bags, I'll shoot them an email to get a quotation