APC Forum

Firework Stars

LambentPyro

There used to be a forum youtube account. At the time, it was a submit to an admin, and we'd upload stuff for you. It'd be an enormous headache having a publicly accessible account.

I'd in general be open to something like this again. I was actually thinking about it the other day. In my mind it'd be of benefit to both the forum and the pyro community. It'd be nice to have a trusted source of tutorials, event videos, example effects, etc. from an established entity, and we'd maybe be able to gain more members interested in the hobby. I'm sure this would bring people interested for the wrong reasons as well, but it's already a factor we have to deal with. Plus it's been a while since I've gotten to ban anyone. :)

• Like 1

Mumbles. I would certainly love to help out with forum tutorial vids. I haven't seen NightHawk in quite some time. I know he made quite a few outstanding tutorials. In fact he really helped progress my building techniques. The least I could do is pass that information on.

Yep, he's around. He's still actively producing youtube videos of his other interests. The last I heard, he was taking a hiatus from pyro manufacturing until he got entirely licensed. He had some interesting offers, and I believe there was some concern as to whether profiting financially from youtube ad revenue or sponsorship from production companies would constitute being in commerce.

That's a great idea Mumbles- moderated (by your good self) member submission tutorials would be a great asset to APC. As for the legal stuff. Is there no way for disclaimers in tutorials? Some people have some incredible ideas. Even for experienced pyros, watching some people do basic things could present little hints for everyone. Even for things such as mis en place, videos speak a thousand words.

The legal stuff is concerning manufacturing for profit or gain without a license. Making videos of yourself engaged in illegal activities is asking for trouble.

Im new to the hobby and have been reading the forums for weeks now and thats what brought me to the star making tutorial. Videos are always a huge plus for new comers like myself.

If we're interested in pursuing this I'd be interesting. Fair warning, I have high standards :) If people are interested, I'll probably start a new thread on this to keep things organized. This is actually the vision I had for the Member Tutorial section to ultimately evolve into. To take some of the workload off of me, I'd prefer to do this in a more collaborative manner. This actually happens to a good degree here already, just see earlier in this thread. Perhaps also have a sub-group of members to serve as a final editorial board.

Things will always excel if we take advantage of our resources, and work off of our strengths, namely our amazing member base. In no particular order, this is how I see this working. I'm always open to new ideas.

• New section for works in progress. Final products could be moved to the member tutorial section.
  • Perhaps a text based tutorial to compliment the videos?
  • New idea proposed
  • One or a few members take lead, will actually be creating the video itself.
  • Members as a whole collaborate to decide on important points and things to say
  • Outline put together
  • Rough draft of video
  • Video is edited and improved based on suggestions
  • Final draft put together
  • Final approval by myself or board or editors.

Mumbles. I would certainly love to help out with forum tutorial vids. I haven't seen NightHawk in quite some time. I know he made quite a few outstanding tutorials. In fact he really helped progress my building techniques. The least I could do is pass that information on.

That's a great idea Mumbles- moderated (by your good self) member submission tutorials would be a great asset to APC. As for the legal stuff. Is there no way for disclaimers in tutorials? Some people have some incredible ideas. Even for experienced pyros, watching some people do basic things could present little hints for everyone. Even for things such as mis en place, videos speak a thousand words.

• 6 months later...

surely the legal ramifications could be largely avoided by not calling it a tutorial...just a series of videos "I did this... and this is why I chose that method"