APC Forum

Fireworking or Passfire

uncrichie

It also defaults to your PayPal address as your user name, but then you can just change it to whatever you want.

Yes, same thing here trying to use paypal. I sent a note to Ned and will wait, hopefully all is well for his family.

Matt

Hi

I want to join one of both communities next month, but which one?

I've been on passfire 10 years ago Still got everything that was online then saved up (don't ask for it), so i don't know if that much happend after that.

On the other side I've never been on fireworking but hear quite a lot god things, so which way to go?

I am very biased so take this with a grain of salt. When you have a moderator that does a good job moderating, you can post without fear, when there is no moderation, the bullies and trolls come out and post incredibly threatening things that outside of a paid subscription would be worthy of law enforcement action.

Passfire has a bastion of formulas, an easy to use and delightful GUI and a plethora of tools to use.

Fireworking has an infant database but is run by the worlds most prolific pyro writer of modern times.

I chose to let Passfire lapse and took up Fireworking for all the above reasons, you will have to make that decision yourself.

Well thanks dag, from what you wrote, i think i will go for fireworking, no way that I will pay for a site with a bad moderation.

Well i don't really care about how a gui looks like as long as it works (well 2 of my computers don't even got more then command line, and the other one I just i

The x server for youtube, games and if i have to write something for University or work).

Also as i have the most basic things covered from passfire I think it will be quite interesting to look more forward a active community with the people with are the ak called atate of artt

Sounds like your mind is made up. My Passfire subscription just lapsed and I do not think I am going to renew it this time. No articles have been added in the past year and Fireworking is a more active community. The biggest draw to Passfire for me has been the formula database. Ned is frequently adding formulas to his database and recently worked with his webmaster to include a personal formula database to make conversions easy for your private formulas. I also think the lighthanded moderation is key for a successful community.

Sounds like your mind is made up. My Passfire subscription just lapsed and I do not think I am going to renew it this time. No articles have been added in the past year and Fireworking is a more active community. The biggest draw to Passfire for me has been the formula database. Ned is frequently adding formulas to his database and recently worked with his webmaster to include a personal formula database to make conversions easy for your private formulas. I also think the lighthanded moderation is key for a successful community.

+1!

I wish I had mined the database before I left though.

I thought about it, but I have condensed the formulas I use down to use a lot of the same chems so I can buy more in bulk. I am still experimenting with a color system based on phenolic resin and saran. I have also been trying test batches of some of the chlorate colors recommended by Mr. Swisher. I don't think there are any formulas listed on passfire that peak my interest and are not available between books I have, here, fireworking or notes from club members.

To be honest, most of the formulas I have settled on are simple variations of Shimizu's charcoal streamers or Gary Smith's Parlon Stars. Since I do not use AP, that gives me 3 nitrate strobes to work with. Add inserts which use BP + metals, whistles and small reports and the possibilities are endless with a few formulas.

I thought about it, but I have condensed the formulas I use down to use a lot of the same chems so I can buy more in bulk. I am still experimenting with a color system based on phenolic resin and saran. I have also been trying test batches of some of the chlorate colors recommended by Mr. Swisher. I don't think there are any formulas listed on passfire that peak my interest and are not available between books I have, here, fireworking or notes from club members.

To be honest, most of the formulas I have settled on are simple variations of Shimizu's charcoal streamers or Gary Smith's Parlon Stars. Since I do not use AP, that gives me 3 nitrate strobes to work with. Add inserts which use BP + metals, whistles and small reports and the possibilities are endless with a few formulas.

Sounds like a reasonable stable of stars, comets and inserts.

• 1 year later...

While this is an old thread, it needs to be updated because there is a lot of incorrect information here based on some problems passfire had years ago which it no longer has.

1) The passfire forum is moderated. It has three moderators and a stated policy against bullying or belittling other members. Since this policy went into effect there has not even been one incident requiring moderation. This is due to the fact that the few individuals who were causing problems have been gone for years. One of them is even dead now. But the bottom line is this: if you are being told the passfire forum is hostile, the person telling you this has not been on the site in at least two years.

2) The political forum has been removed. Any claims that politics are discussed more than pyro are also coming from someone who hasn't been on the site in years. Get an opinion from current members, not ex members from years ago or hearsay from people who never were members at all.

3) A News page has been added to the home page which shows all recent articles, which can be viewed without logging in with a guest or member account. You can see currently there have been 12 new articles published in the last six months, with three of them being detailed project plans for building three different kinds of star rollers from scratch. So that's two new articles per month on average.

Thanks for the updates Kyle. I also included a link to your post in the first post of this thread, so hopefully anyone stumbling upon this thread in the future is directed to more updated information.

• 5 months later...
My opinion is personal based solely on forum readings( for what it's worth) but I will shortly be donating to FW.

Kalamafalls,

If you can possibly afford it, you should do both. The 'database' at Passfire is second-to-none. Kyle was 'first kid on the block', and got to build a true treasure-trove of information, a lot of which is to be found nowhere else.

LLoyd

• Like 1

my thoughts are to join both. it took me a while but I finally joined pssfire. I have been on fireworking for over a year. been on amateurpyro the longest and visit here the most.

memo

I'm on Passfire and Fireworking and love them both. The formulas and articles on PF are priceless.

YouTube is my "go to"

I've learned to verify anything I see on youtube before trying it.

YouTube is my "go to"

Yep. YouTube.......

Warning Sarcasm

Nice Dan.
I'm not on either one but I'll likely do Fireworking first with Passfire waiting in the wings........

Passfire is a ghost town, deserted mostly. Go with Fireworking.

And it's sad. I've tried to kick up the dust and......nothing. I love the archives but it's like an archaeological dig.

i spend hours reading on passfire, but i have never posted. maybe the reason it is a ghost town is there are too mant people like me. no posting. maybe we could have a pssfire day where we post at least one thing ??? who is game ?

Taking Kyle's post to heart, I renewed my membership to see if indeed it had changed. My results so far are that only three posters are active in the past three days but it has been clearly civil.

I am also hoping for an update since load times are horrible (20-30 seconds) and PMs time out.

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 2

Thank you Dave and everyone else, this is a very helpful thread. I think after the 4th I'll probably join Fireworking as I would rather a more active forum where I can get help easier when asking questions.

I'm not so sure I'm willing to pay for PF if it's not very active anymore, even if there is a good database.

I am afraid that the reason passfire is a ghost town has nothing to do with reasonable people making reasonable posts but a few violently oppressive people trolling actively on the website purposefully trying to cause upheaval and disruption.

Moderation within reason is a good thing, as parents we all do this every day with our children. At work we are moderated by our bosses and in social situations we are moderated by our peers.

Papa Mum holds the reins here and Ned holds the reigns at Fireworking & gives us plenty of sway in any direction to air our concerns and make posts dealing with things that are an emotional hot bed but yet strives to keep it within reason.

That, in my opinion is why passfire has had such a huge decline.

I thought that was the old passfire, we are supposed to have the new and improved passfire. I have not seen any bad stuff going on.

memo

I'm the only cranky old man on passfire that I've seen and even I ain't too bad!