APC Forum

Fireworking or Passfire

uncrichie

I'm a member of all 3. But if I had to choose first I would go fireworking. Passfires a good site but as often as I post there I pretty much just use it for the database.

...and then just save the whole site to your computer somehow...

That's not very fair on Kyle and archived copies of subscription websites always seem to pop-up in public places. I say, write down or format as many formulae as you wish, and print out the articles you want to have as hard-copies if think you'll refer to them again.

Both are great sources of information, and I agree with the general consensus made here. If you're a keep to yourself, not much of a poster sort of guy, Passfire is still going to be better due to the amount of information that has been passed through there. I found a lot of information on hydraulic power-pack presses for example which was worth the subscription itself, saving me a lot of time and assumptions with a safe construction. Fireworking has a few threads on this topic, but not as many. Even something as simple as seeing a factory using a gang pump and wondering how effective they are -- Passfire has a couple of threads with a mention, Fireworking does not (yet).

Fireworking is great for the social read, and has plenty of unique content itself too. It's an excellent motivator to get out and do some pyro, and it's enthusiastic as a whole. As of right now, I get a vibe of pleasant Sunday afternoon reading of new ideas, lots of pictures and recent content. Very enjoyable to sift through and it's active. But for serious research and information hunting, PF is still ahead. That'll probably change in due time (it has only just been a year). Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like 1

It would be nice if we added to the database here on APC to expand the resources available on this site.

There used to be a lot more data resources on the internet, but it seems as though they are quickly drying up.

Search engines used to work better for locating files, now they direct you to the pay to play sites.

Takes a lot more work to dig your way into the net to locate pyro files that have been archived.

I hope in another ten years that APC, PF, and FW are still around as a resource.

The formula database here doesn't work how I'd like it to, and honestly I don't have the computer/software background to really get it working. There has long been talk of a sister website that I've always envisioned to be a somewhat more polished version of Danny Creagan's. I really like his website, how it's more of a living information database. The members tutorial section grew out of what used to be called the info pool. It was originally intended to be a place to collaborate on generating and refining tutorials for said sister site. I'm always up in the air if that approach is better or if it'd be easier to use a Wiki type system. The Pyroguide wiki seemed good in concept, but probably needed slightly more oversight on the content and editing abilities.

Mumbles,

Software, Programming, Hardware and time sure makes it a pain in setting up and customizing a website.

It used to be a lot easier back in the day, now you need to be programmer, server and windows administrator

to be able to make the changes and maintain the bells and whistles.

And then if you install a new system it takes a year or two to work the bugs out.

And they said computers were going to make are lives easier.

I remember all you really needed to do website is to know HTML and you could write the whole thing in notepad rather quickly because the codes aren't complex. Now it feels like you need to know so many languages that you could be a UN interpreter just to be able to deal with all the scripts out there...

Well content is king in the web. When pages developed into full fledged sites rather than acting like a flyer, it became difficult to update. You could have thousands of lines of code spanning hundreds of files. One change in design could take all day.

Enter server side scripting and databases to the mix. Now you can seprate the design from the content and address each part independently. This makes for much cleaner code and directories. PHP is actually a fairly simple language to do all this.

• 3 weeks later...

How long does activation take on Fireworking? I registered there on the 29th of November but my account is still yet to be activated.

Order Description: 1x 1 Year Subscription Invoice ID: 1260-1385675321 Date: 29 Nov 2013 Time: 08:59:44 AEDT

I changed the invoice number :) If it does not get activated i fear i will have to go through paypals resolution centre and thats a real PITA.

How long does activation take on Fireworking? I registered there on the 29th of November but my account is still yet to be activated.

Order Description: 1x 1 Year Subscription Invoice ID: 1260-1385675321 Date: 29 Nov 2013 Time: 08:59:44 AEDT

I changed the invoice number :) If it does not get activated i fear i will have to go through paypals resolution centre and thats a real PITA.

Nova,

Activation should take a few minutes. I've forwarded your message to Ned.

Kevin

you probably didn't complete the process.

I renewed last month and was certain I completed the transaction but a few weeks late received a notice that my subscription was about to expire.

When I checked the renewal was still in the cart

Nova, this is the first I've heard of this problem. With some PayPal payments, it takes a few days for the payment to clear, but your subscription was activated on 12/3. Please let me know if you have any problems logging in with the username and password you chose when subscribing, and I'll check into them immediately. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

One tip if there is a problem logging in: Try using the "Request new password" button, and then log in using the new Password that is sent to you. Once logged in, you can use the My Account settings to reset your password to anything you choose. Just remember to click Save at the bottom of the page once you make any changes to your account.

Best, and just holler if you experience any other difficulties with using the site.

ned

Never mind

Edited by Nessalco

Nova, this is the first I've heard of this problem. With some PayPal payments, it takes a few days for the payment to clear, but your subscription was activated on 12/3. Please let me know if you have any problems logging in with the username and password you chose when subscribing, and I'll check into them immediately. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

One tip if there is a problem logging in: Try using the "Request new password" button, and then log in using the new Password that is sent to you. Once logged in, you can use the My Account settings to reset your password to anything you choose. Just remember to click Save at the bottom of the page once you make any changes to your account.

Best, and just holler if you experience any other difficulties with using the site.

ned

Thanks heaps Ned. I have sent you an email with what i think may be the problem.

No inconvenience at all mate, just my stupid bungle i think. I will wait for your reply and go from there, thanks for your concern :)

Edit: I am in and yes it was all my fault. Sorry for the hassle Ned.

Edited by Novacastrian

Not a prob, Nova.. These types of issues arise with all of our accounts, passwords, email addresses....and with the phase of the moon... :)

Enjoy,

ned

• 3 months later...
One more thing to add is that passfire is about 2-3x cheaper than fireworking. Fireworking requires a $40 per year membership while passfire memberships are $50 but don't lapse for 2-3 years

From the FAQ on Passfire:
Q1. When does my subscription expire?
Answer: Subscriptions have a duration of 12 months, which starts from the date on which payment was made. Once your subscription expires your account will revert back to a limited guest account and there will be a Renew button on the menu which can be used to renew your subscription for another year.

I don't exactly know what "limited guest" accounts are able to do / access, but it might be worth noting that only the first year costs 50 bucks... after that it's 25 bucks / year. So, even full membership is cheaper.
I, however, have no membership.
B!

Kyle may have switched things up, but that 12 month figure was based upon 12 articles being published at a rate of once per month. My first 12month membership lasted about 5 or 6 years.

My first membership lasted about 13 months. Have him just recently renewed for 25 dollars. The money I would have rather saved for better things, as the forum is there as good as dead. <_<

Viking, I wouldn't say that at all! Just last summer I posted a thread regarding my BP manufacturing technique, asking for help improving it. Within days, a couple of people sent me all kinds of charcoal to test out. They are a real good stand up group of guys.

I agree with MrB as well. It was always pretty forgiving and based on 12 issues as Mumbles had mentioned. I think that Kyle has been changing it over to the anniversary date of your subscription also as mentioned. Mine will be coming up again fairly soon and I will know then as it will then be 2 years in a row that I will have renewed with the new system. For any forum it is what you make it to be. If you're really board just start a conversation and someone usually answers. Older members know this but maybe not so much for the newer members because things have been changing. Once the weather moves to warmer conditions I'll post more then. Right now spring fever is getting pretty ripe even though I had my fix this last weekend.

Mark

Even if you don't post much in the forum, there is a ton of information contained there, well worth $25 / year. The tutorials and formula database are great. I still like the option to enter private formulas there.

I can only speak of what I know. When I signed up the first time, it was a very good and active forum. Now it seems to me very inactive.

The articles and formula data base is still very good!. Without a doubt. Since Kyle has created a basis for eternity. :)

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried to subscribe to fireworking lately? I just tried. After I submitted the payment info, I get an error page. This happened twice in a row. I didn't want to retry it again, just in case it's actually going through and I'm getting multiple charges. It looks like it's not going though, since the membership is still in my cart, but I wanted to be sure.

The error is pretty nondescript.

"Fireworking.com Hosted by ned gorski.
Come for the Information, Stay for the Conversation. Error

The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later."

This was with a credit card. I tried initially going through pay pal, but it seemed to not allow me to setup a member name or password or anything. There is an article on setting up a user account and profile, but it's not visible to me since I am not a member. Seems dumb, but it's probably something else than what I'm thinking.

Yupper! I got BurritoBandito all signed up two weeks ago without a hitch, shoot Ned an email directly nedgorski@fuse.net

He is in california visiting his ailing parents, he is in and out of the forum.