APC Forum

Testing my new 1lb rocket tool

VikingPyrotechnics

Just got a new tool for making my 1lb coreburner. Spindle is 15cm long . 9mm at the base and about 3mm at the tip.

Made a nozzleless motor on this tooling and it lifts a 380g shell without any problems :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mj0TZatqaM

Greets

VP

Edited by VikingPyrotechnics

Awesome rocket!

How big were the winokur 20 stars? Seemed to burn quite quickly..

How did you get that nice tail on the rocket? Was it the delay mix or a comet on the header?

Love your rockets & shells!

Sweet! Nice work VP.

as always very nice man but i would also like to know it looked like it was a tail but cant be sure if so id love to know the delay comp

Nice rocket and shell! Seems like a powerful motor. The stars were nice, a pretty even burn out. I need to revisit Win 20...

WB

Thanks guys for the kind words :)

There was no comet on top. I just pressed in 8g of win39 for delay and tail ......

Stars are all 10mm pressed. On the win20 stars i used 100mesh magnalium instead of 200mesh.

I was pretty happy with that big break on this "little" shell ^_^

Greets

VP

Edited by VikingPyrotechnics

Damn bro, looks mighty fine again!

Even with pressed stars you get excellent results, what you lack in precision timing from round rolled stars, you make up with smart and high quality construction, I love it!

I ve got a 24mm coreburner set lying about, once I have my press fixed I am going to venture into making rockets too...:)

thanks for sharing again,

best

fred

thanks vp i figured due to the orientation of the rocket you had your instaboom setup inside the delay grain cause you can see the remain of the win39 dispersed during the break which actually added to the effect

can i ask if you granulated or wet the win39 comp at all before pressing or did you just press dry comp

i really like it for a tail did you use antimony trisulfide needles or powder Potassium nitrate 51 Charcoal (airfloat) 19 Antimony trisulfide 12 Aluminium 8 Barium carbonate 5 Dextrin 5

and did you have any variation on the standard comp i will be trying it for sure ive been wanting longer hanging tails

also what mesh al did you use id say ill be using 200mesh spherical

Yes Fred,

I definitely need to work on my round stars. ^_^

I also need a 3lb tool for my 5" and 6 " balls.

So if you no longer need yours, I take it gladly. :D

@ leedrill

I pressed the comp dry without granulating. Just mill the chems seperate in a coffee mill and screen mixed it togehther and pressed on top

of the spindle.

My Antimon is fine powder. And the Aluminum is 325mesh ( spherical )

I hope this will help :)

Greets

VP

wow very nice, do you mind sharing fuel specs/prep my tooling has the same dimensions as yours :]

dan.

No problem Dan :)

Fuel is straight meal. +3% paraffin wax. For 100g meal i use 25g acetone and 3g wax.

This gives a rock hard fuel grain and gives the rocket a lot of power :)

Hope u understand my bad english :D

Thanks, you write better english than me :)

Dan.

So... the question remains: why would you use a nozzle if the rocket works without it? ...And lifts the same if not more?

Answer: If you don't have a ball mill, you have to go the nozzled way.

Just as DJ (RIP) once said: "just leave the nozzle out !"

Pros:

The rocket tail: perfect.

The timing is perfect, TR like (just as it coast ends and the rocket tilts - you can see the break better).

The break - nice and strong, with no blinding flash.

The stars are also fine, the red is nice and the glitter could have had longer delay but this is easy to fix.

Cons: break symmetry

If you spike 24 verticals like TR then I guess the break symmetry would have been perfect.

With 24 strings of linen or hemp BP would work for break and be loud enough.

All in all, I'd say this was a 9 out of 10 rocket.

Now, my questions:

-what break charge?

-break charge diam? (cannule)?

-how many vertical strings?

Do you have a pic of the pre-lauch? Maybe the shell interior?

Edited by a_bab

I spiked 24 verticals with 1,5mm hemptwine :D

Sorry, have no pics from it. No, cannule. Just filled the center with burst ( meal on cork )

Greets

VP