APC Forum

Simple disk cutter

Nessalco

I've been using more and more chipboard disks, and cutting them out with scissors is a pain. I couldn't see sinking $250 into an Allpax, so I rigged up a cheap substitute.

A 1" x 1/4" aluminum bar is sawn partway through, at an angle. Holes are drilled at various distances from this cut to accommodate a 1/16" piano wire pivot. The pivot is inserted into a hole in a wooden base. A few seconds with a utility knife and you have consistently sized disks, whatever size you need. I've been using it to cut ramboard, and it cuts a single layer cleanly

The tool I made cuts 1.5", 1.75", 2.5", 3.5" and 4.5" disks - all the sizes I need in one tool. Cost is maybe a couple dollars.

Kevin O

post-10587-0-47279900-1378998187_thumb.jpg post-10587-0-41757300-1378998434_thumb.jpg post-10587-0-88459900-1378998561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nessalco

Nice solution. I think I'll try something similar, thank you for posting!

Indeed! Simple and effective tool.

You can't beat the price of homemade. I really like the simplicity of that tool you made.

If you're looking for a real Allpax, they can be had on ebay for less than $50 usually. You might need new blades, but other than that, they're basically indestructible.

Here is another option for a simple made disk cutter. For these to work the blade tip must be centered with the center point that the cutter pivots on. You also have a sharp razor hanging on the end of this tool which you need to stay aware of.

http://www.fireworking.com/sites/default/files/u349/wood%20disk%20cutter.JPG

http://www.fireworking.com/sites/default/files/u349/wood%20disk%20cutter%202.JPG

I usually press them out using die cutters. Of course one tool here only serves one size and especially the larger sizes can be pricey.

Hey Mikeee, you could probably wrap the exposed part of the blade with 3 or 4 layers of masking tape, just to cover those edges. It would make me a lot more relaxed with that tool if I were using it.

The first one and the one for the drill look quite nice and reasonable to me, mike you`re one just looks dangerous, wouldn`t want to use that for any reason.

But why don`t use the normal circle cutters for 3$-X$ you can get, they are also adjustable in size to your personal needs

Schroedinger,

The tool I posted is a prototype to see if it would cut.

You can use a smaller blade or a large block of wood to protect the exposed blade.

The concept is a block of wood and several screws a nail and razor blade.

Everyone has these laying around the shop to fabricate a disk cutting tool.

http://fireworking.com/sites/default/files/u104/100_1772.JPG

The tool shown above was fabricated out of plastic by Jeffrocket over on Passfire.

He designed a guard for the razor blade to protect it while using the tool.

This tool works much like an Allpax cutter tool.

If you notice the 2-screws on the end of the tool (1) is used to support the back of the blade

while the other is used on the front of the blade. There is a lot of pressure on the blade while

it is cutting thru thicker materials. If the blade is not supported from the back of the blade it can

move out of cutting allignment causing the blade to bind on the circumference line.

The trick is locking the blade at a cutting angle which makes the tool cut smoothly.

The other nice thing with a cutter like this is it is used with one hand leaving the other hand free to

move the chipboard material in the opposite direction to speed the process.

You can purchase an Allpax tool for about $200.00 and then you have to purchase their blades to make it work.

Designing a tool that uses generic razor blades is the main goal.

This tool will cut any diameter end disk that you would need for a typical shell application.

Interesting assortment of tools and ideas. I've seen the Jeffpax, and certainly considered it - but even $50 was more than I wanted to spend.

The one advantage I think my setup offers is that to change disk sizes takes no time at all - just put the pivot in a different hole. I'd never use if for mass production, but for the number of disks I need it works fine. I also always have a utility knife in my pocket when I'm doing pyro stuff, so it seemed the natural way to go.

Kevin

Nessalco,

Keeping it simple for the minimal needs of a hobbiest is a winner no matter how you look at it.

Important part is getting the job done with the least amount expense or effort.

Your tool is also small and compact and does not take up much room in a tool box.

• 4 months later...