APC Forum

LWS Option in the Rocket Tool Scetcher, would that make an Universal Hybrid Tooling?

dangerousamateur

Hi guys,

when you use the RTS

http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/

and select Long winded screamer, would this thing be identical to the tooling sets that are sold as Universal Hybrid?

If not, what dimensions must an 16mm calibre tool have?

What's also interesting to me:

That kind of tool is often advertised for the possibility to make 6 different types of motor, among them a BP motor. Since the nozzle would be wider and the spindle shorter, what kind of BP is needed for good performance?

Is 75, 15, 10 sieved together enough to make up the differences to the usual 60, 30, 10 or is milling required?

Is it even possible to cato them with BP?

I use the Universal tooling for BP rockets. It's true, the spindle is short and fat and the nozzle wide, but I get very good performance with 60:30:10 - 25 pounds peak thrust. I ball mill this fuel, by the way, and hand ram. Most people don't bother milling fuel for rockets, but I found unmilled fuel didn't give nearly so much force.

the spindle is short and fat and the nozzle wide

Would you share the exact dimensions?

Most people don't bother milling fuel for rockets, but I found unmilled fuel didn't give nearly so much force.

How about using 75,15,10 and just save the milling?

When this type of tool is used with wistle, it's often stated that the rockets can lift small payloads to very high altitudes. That would reduce the whole thing to a salute rocket in my opinion. I like whistle to move big loads into the air. Only I want a longer thrust phase than with the standart whistle tools.

I dont understand this. The longer spindle in combination with slower fuel should give about the same thrust as the short spindles or not?

If it cannot tuned to the same thrust, why not? Because the longer core is more delicate?

I`d say the the longer core will give a longer thrust duration but not as much peak thrust. A short fat core with milled bp is akin to a lift charge with a stick attached. The LWS spindle looks slightly shorter than hybrid.

From my notes from Steve, the Long Winded Screamer and Hybid tools are almost identical. The spindle lengths are within about 1/4" of each other, but that might just be rounding used in real tools, compared to the proportional conversions I've been doing.

Ok thank you. Since I am mostly after whistle performance, the LWS with about 5,5x diameter long spindle should be better suited. I read somewhere that the hybrid should have 6x...

I do. ;) They are published in the PGI Anthology. Buy it and you will have the dimensions too. I am pretty sure you don't need to be a member anymore to buy a copy. Email robin@pgi.org.

By the way, this spindle when pressed all the way up with Super Whistle Fuel can lift fairly heavy headers to a respectable height.

For plain BP motors I use 70/20/10 screen mixed and can easily lift a 3" or 4" ball shell to the proper height with a 3/4" motor. With Hybrid #2 fuel, a small salute goes way too high to be enjoyed.