APC Forum

Cotton seed for burst

dynomike1

I just shot a 4" canister with cotton seed 1:1 and 4g of 70/30 and the break was pitiful. Do i need to go to 5:1? It was supposed to have a bottom shot with Ti, but it went off with the break.Here is the video of it.

How do you typically make your 4" canisters? Was the 1:1 the only difference? Or was this your first one?

It's kinda hard to explain. 3 wraps of 1/16" duroscot paper, 3 turns of chipboard, spiked with 24 wraps of hemp 4g 70/30 pp & d al. The other 2 i made were timed reports with 5:1 rice hulls.

I can't say for sure because I've never tried 1:1 or cotton seed. The minimum I go is 4:1 and use rice hulls or ground corn cob. However, I would deffenetly start there and get more bp in the break. Edited by chemtech89

I'm building another one with Rice hulls and 4g flash.

Cotton seed is usually considered too big of a media to use for 4" shells. Use something smaller like rice hulls if this is what you want to do at about 7:1. Typically you should be using rough powder with a column of commercial 2FA (for example) or granulated powder that has been milled for a good burst throughout the center of the shell. Cotton seeds for large ball shells I usually go 1:1 using milled powder. Cotton seeds in a canister shell is far from being on my bucket list of things to try ;)

I agree with Mark, cotton seed is generally used for larger shells (8" +). If you're looking for an alternative to rice hulls, i'd look into trying granulated cork. It can be had online for fairly cheap, and it comes in all different grades. We've used cork for shells from 4" up to 16" with great success.

http://www.corkstore.com/Products/Granulated-Cork_2

I'll try the powder in my next shell. Thanks

Rice Hulls are cheap and they are easy to get, why are you not able to obtain them? They always work fine for me. I use 5:1 with whistle for my shells

PyroDirect sells them for $2 a pound!

I agree. I just picked up a bucket at work and thought i would try them. Rice hulls going up tonight and maybe one with granulated powder. If that doesn't suite me, i may increase my flash.

Well i built two today both with rice hulls 1 with 4g. and 1 with 7g 70/30. And i couldn't tell any difference, both sucked. I'll build another one tomorrow with 20g see if that makes a difference.

I'd suggest trying to build one the time honored and traditional way before trying to take shortcuts. If 7g of 70/30 isn't doing the trick, there is something else substantially wrong.

It's kinda hard to explain. 3 wraps of 1/16" duroscot paper, 3 turns of chipboard, spiked with 24 wraps of hemp 4g 70/30 pp & d al. The other 2 i made were timed reports with 5:1 rice hulls.

8 turns of 70# is about .056, you are more than 3 times that much. Then you don't say what liner thickness you use. You would have to also better explain the 24 wraps, is this just the verticles?

Let me try this again.Shell is 4"X"3. I mic. my paper. 3 turns of .006 , liner 1 turn of .017, spiked 24X5 turns of Hemp. Canule is 2" PVC, 4g 70/30 dumped in the bottom. Mumbles i don't know what i am missing. You said traditional, i thought that was.

I'm still not sure what 24x5 turns of hemp means. Do you mean that there are 24 verticals and 5 horizontals? Do you mean there are 24 verticals using 5 strings at once? In any case, using 16 verticals on a 4" shell is common, and I typically double up the 20lb hemp from walmart to spike them.

Secondly, are you sure you mean 2" PVC? That is going to have an OD of close to 2.5". That canulle diameter would be more suitable for an 8" shell.

You might want to check out Fulcanelli to see where you're missing a few things. If the casing is being dry rolled, your walls are a little thinner than recommended. 4 or 5 turns of .006" paper would be about where you want to be. I use a piece of 1" PVC to make my cannule on 4" shells, which leaves around a 1 3/8" cavity. If you're going to use loose flash, I'd suggest mixing it in with the burst first so that it's better distributed. It also sounds like you're not packing in the stars with polverone. This did a lot to improve my shells. It's mainly a flammable filler, but it might also contribute somewhat to the burst gases and confinement.

Probably the biggest deviation is that you're using meal on a carrier to burst these shells. You might want to try one with a column of granulated BP just for comparison.

How are you pasting these things in? You should probably paste it in with an equal amount of paper that you use to roll the casing.

24 verticals 5 horizontals. So if i go to a 1" pvc that would put more stars and less powder right? I'll change to bp and pulverine. I'm not sure what you mean about paste it in. In any case i'm fixen to build one with your recommendations and no flash.

No flash and less powder won`t make things better. If you use granulated bp you may take a smaller canulle, but

it`s not a bad idea to boost the shell with good flash ( Remember 70/30 = 70 kp 30 dark al )

Usually a canister shell ist pasted with a few turns of kraft paper and wheat past after spiking.

Greets

ok i never did that

Dyno,

Could you provide some photos of your shells and the construction please? Even low quality pictures from a phone will be very helpful.

You said traditional, i thought that was.

Just out of curiosity, could you post some links to where you've been reading on cylinder shells?

ok i never did that

How are you finishing your shells?

What are you using in your bottom shots? It did not seem nearly as powerful as the last time I saw a 4" bottom shot ignite with the color break:

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

The bottom shot didn't work for some reason, also the shell broke about 2sec. early, might have been the comet i put on there burnt through, don't know. I'm going to hang back on bottom shots till i understand them more. I finished a shell today as per Fulcanelli. The article i was reading i guess i didn't understand it as good as i thought. As mumbles said about shortcutting i did some that i didn't think was hurting me, but after he said that, i reread the article and a light bulb came on.Here is the link. http://fireworking.c...-shell-assemblyThe only thing i changed is i used time fuse instead of making it from bp, and i put 4g of 70/30.I will shoot this shell tonite and get the video on here about 9:00pm central. I'll put it in this reply. If it doesn't work the next one i build i will have photos and construction. Here is the one i'm going to shoot tonight. My spiking isent the best but i'm getting better.betterhttp://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/img0064c.jpg Edited by dynomike1

I don't know what happend with my phone, but the break looked a whole lot better than it shows, i think thats about as good a break as it gets.. The stars were C-6 and i used granulated BP.

: