APC Forum

Flares

RobertoDuran121

What color flare is not a sign of distress.I know red flares are considered a distress signal and will end with emergency services after you.What colors are legal and what is the composition to make a flare of that color.

Thanks I just wanted to know so when I get to making some rockets with flares ill know what I should use.I read somewhere that white is used in practices and should not attract attention.

Will this produce a white flare?Potassium nitrate, aluminum powder, sulfur all mixed together and bound with mineral oil and pressed in a cart tube

Edited by RobertoDuran121

Red and blue are reserved for emergency vehicles here in Florida. I know blue can get you a ticket on a vehicle but not sure about red. However, a flare is quite different than a vehicle light and I can't imagine attracting attention with a blue flare. I'm not sure I would expect much from a handheld red flare either but better not use it to play it safe. Now a red aerial flare I think would definitely attract attention and is the only color I've seen for that purpose. I guess it depends where you are using it and if it is hand held or not.

Well, that was a lot of rambling.

Depending on your aluminum, your formula could be considered a flash powder. I would use a sphserical aluminum and more fuel, less oxidizer. Maybe start with 50% KNO3 and adjust from there for burn speed. There are probably some flare formulas around or try a lance or port fire formula for good, slow burning colors.

The rules may also vary with proximity to the coast. International marine distress uses red flares orange smoke and white starshells. wherever the Coastguard would SEE

International marine distress uses red flares orange smoke and white starshells.

Sorry but white starshells or flares are used for either signalling position, grabbing attention to following signal (same as a maroon) or for illumination. You would need to fire three a minute or one a second to indicate distress.

If you want to use a flare without getting into trouble from the authorities, make sure you have a reason for signaling and use it in the intended manner - like burning off a white flare in bad visibility or, generally speaking, just a few miles away from where it would count as a distress signal. A red rocket on the coastline will get attention, a red rocket on July 4th inland...... who cares.

Edited by boule