APC Forum

Books Information and Recommendations

LambentPyro

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to explore in getting Pyro books, I am looking for something with a lot of formulas (including stars), tables, and charts and such.

I was wondering for those of you who know what I am looking for if you can give me some recommendations of ones that match that description. I was thinking about getting Bleser's Round Stars and Shells, Lancaster's Fireworks, Principle and Practice, but what is the latest edition?

Is the Glittering book any good?

You will have to be waaaaaaay more specific than that. At the very least include something such as what kind of devices you're looking to make, or what kind of charts and tables you're looking for. Basically every book has star formulas, along with various sorts of charts and tables.

Lancaster's book is in it's 4th edition currently I believe. It is a good all around book.

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to explore in getting Pyro books, I am looking for something with a lot of formulas (including stars), tables, and charts and such.

I was wondering for those of you who know what I am looking for if you can give me some recommendations of ones that match that description. I was thinking about getting Bleser's Round Stars and Shells, Lancaster's Fireworks, Principle and Practice, but what is the latest edition?

Is the Glittering book any good?

Blessers book "Round stars and round shells "is a very nice and cheap book all pyros should have . "FAST" by shimizu ,and Hart's book:"Pyrotechnics "are a few favorites I refer to very very often !!!! The glitter book is good , and goes into good depth on how ,what, and why glitters work.

Edited by pyrojig

I would second Hardt, is has lots of great formulas, but bear in mind that it is not a how-to step by step script, as almost all books out there aren´t. Shimizu and Lancaster are must haves too. Bleser focusses, as the title suggests, on round aerial shells and has formulas intended for that purpose. Much of what it says can be extracted out of Shimizu with some effort. If you are interested in glitters from a practical, not scientific standpoint, I would rather suggest getting a copy of Pyrotechnica II with Winokurs article; Oglesby is good, but is very theoretical, too.

Other than that Mumbles is very correct that you will need to specify what you are interested in.

Glitter? i would read the article in Pyro guide first before i would spend any money.

You will have to be waaaaaaay more specific than that. At the very least include something such as what kind of devices you're looking to make, or what kind of charts and tables you're looking for. Basically every book has star formulas, along with various sorts of charts and tables.

Lancaster's book is in it's 4th edition currently I believe. It is a good all around book.

Just shells/mines, and rockets. Maybe even fountains too, that's pretty much it. I am looking for charts and tables with MANY formulas to pick from, both organic and metallic with LOTS of streamers including glitters and many others. I'd also like some background on how these formulas came about and the theoretical ideas behind how they work. I'd like some history involved, don't get me wrong, just not the whole book about history,

Glitter? i would read the article in Pyro guide first before i would spend any money.

That website is down so far buried in the ground, that it has been melted in the Earth's core.

I would second Hardt, is has lots of great formulas, but bear in mind that it is not a how-to step by step script, as almost all books out there aren´t. Shimizu and Lancaster are must haves too. Bleser focusses, as the title suggests, on round aerial shells and has formulas intended for that purpose. Much of what it says can be extracted out of Shimizu with some effort. If you are interested in glitters from a practical, not scientific standpoint, I would rather suggest getting a copy of Pyrotechnica II with Winokurs article; Oglesby is good, but is very theoretical, too.

Other than that Mumbles is very correct that you will need to specify what you are interested in.

I'm not looking for StepbyStep that much anymore, I understand the precautions involved with my chemicals and what I would need to do in order to prevent a catastrophe and once you make a formula of stars, you can make all formulas, respectively. Is like riding a bicycle.

How many books does Shimizu and Lancaster have? What are the best ones to get matching my description above in this post?

Considering the website is no longer up, and you can't search the snapshots from the internet archive, perhaps you'd like to provide a link to this glitter page?

In any case, Pyrotechnica II is a must have, and generally one of the cheaper ones. Many listings of all of Dr. Winokur's formulas around the internet are littered with errors. I know this because the list was directly stolen from APC, and our list had plenty of errors which myself and Gunzway corrected.

Considering the website is no longer up, and you can't search the snapshots from the internet archive, perhaps you'd like to provide a link to this glitter page?

Probably this one

The link is an article I wrote a few years ago; it is basically a subjective summary of the few practical hints in Oglesby that I found useful for the technician.

The book titles mentioned were: Shimizu: Fireworks the art science and technique, Lancaster: Fireworks principles and practice, Hardt: Pyrotechnics

You can´t do nothing wrong when spending money on any of those three works. I consider those a must-have. Based on your fields of interest Shimizu would be of use for round shell making (as Bleser would). Hardt is usually said to offer loads of excellent display formulae of all kinds, and also treats rockets, especially core burners in more practial detail than the other two authors. All of those books offer formulae. Mines are covered in all either. Lancaster and Hardt cover fountains.

If you are into canister shells, Pyrotechnica 9 and 11 are a must.

That website is down buried.

Wrong answer. I just looked at it.http://web.archive.o...=Glitter_Theory

Thats what i am looking for is a book on how to build like a certain shell (example Palm tree, aaah saturn something like that. Ball shell and canister.

Harry got Shimizu Fireworks art and science for $79.00us.

Edited by dynomike1

If you're looking for more specific project based things, you might want to consider passfire.com or fireworking.com I'm not a member of Fireworking.com, but I've heard mostly good things. You get a lot of value for your money with either. The Best of AFN books are also excellent. They're around 200 pages long and have probably 60-70 articles in each. If you get them from AFN directly, they're about $25 a piece I think, and have a lot of good information in them. You can browse the tables of contents to see which might interest you the most.

dynomike1, on 31 July 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

@LambentPyrotechnics

That website is down so far buried in the ground, that it has been melted in the Earth's core.

http://web.archive.o...title=Main_Page

If you are talking about pyroguide this will get you there. I posted this just the other day and there are some people who do not trust the inormation, but as I have said its a good place to start. Verify the information by reading as much as you can elsewhere and as always use common sence.....................Pat