APC Forum

Rocket competition submission

Salute

Good rocket. Is it me, or is that fuse very short for a rocket with a payload?

Also, rockets and shells are my favorite device, so when they're put together, its awesome!

That was a loud break. did you use flash and if so how much? Nice stars also. I have to start making color stars. Charcoal streamers are getting boring. Anyway nice rocket!

I have seen you mention using BP coated rice crispies for break charges on other posts. I would like to know how you wet the crispies without making them mushy. Just spritz them with a light mist of water? I have some decent meal BP for the coating just need to know the process. It would make a good tutorial. If you could post it I would appreciate it.

There is another product called puffed rice. It usually comes in those big off-brand style bags. It is different from rice crispies. They are a lot more solid, and a bit larger. These work well as carriers for burst. Must more similar to the rice hulls used in oriental shells. In oriental shells they use full rice hulls, which are harder and very non-compactable. In the US we get a shredded product, which is used in the brewing industry. As with most pyro products, we ride on the coat tails of other industries. The shredded product isn't nearly as good as the real stuff.

Anyway, off the tangent. They don't go soggy as easily as rice crispies. You cannot soak them like you can with rice hulls. You have to roll. It is pretty easy to do by hand though. Get a 5 quart ice cream container, or some of Mom's tupperware(no poisonous chems obviously), and toss in said carrier. Spray with your solvent and shake it around. Flip it all around for a good couple of minutes to distribute the moisture spraying intermitantly. Start shaking on your BP/KP/H3/random burst. Keep going until it starts settling to the bottom. Spray some more to pick that back up, and repeat until all your burst is added.

It should be noted that the puffed rice are larger and are more suited for larger shells. Probably 4"+. 2" and 3" will require something smaller, so I am really not sure why I went off on this.

Thanks for the info mumbles. I,m going to use rice crispies since I want a smaller powder grain than I could get using the puffed cereal. I will use the procedure you describe to coat the crispies. So far I have only used grained home Made BP for my burst and I want to try making a coated burst powder.

I agree with Mumbles, I have used H3 on the puffed rice and it's ok for 4" (I haven't done larger shells). Because for smaller shells is really too big:) and I suggest use grass seeds (I can't buy rice hulls) etc.

Puffed rice is also very light.. and grain of burst cracks easily between fingers.

I give the pictures (ratio 4:1)

http://www.apcforum.net/files/puffed_rice_P2.jpg

http://www.apcforum.net/files/grass_seeds_P2.jpg

This match has 44mm lenght.

Regards

Nice shell. That looked alot like a BP rocket, but it has been my experience that BP end burning rockets don't like payloads, especially smaller diameter. What was your fuel mix and was there a core or nozzle? I really liked your header, the stars were very nice for such a small shell.

Thanks, well for fuel i use standard black powder(milled 3-4h) and there was very small core(about 3mm).