APC Forum

Where to get pulleys?

coffman34

I have a motor that I'm attempting to use for a ball mill, and the thing outputs 3450 RPMs. So I have calculated I need a 2" drive pulley, to a 14" driven pulley, with a 1" shaft to power a 6" jar to hit around 82 RPMs. But I am having a horrible time finding a 14" pulley that has a 1" bore. Where do you guys get your pulley's from?

The pulley store which is right next door to the scotch tape store.

You might look on McMaster Carr or MSC or Grainger website.

I found what I needed from Amazon.com.

If you have a farm store close by, they have a limited selection of pulleys on hand.

You could also check ebay for a possible deal.

Didn't realize that it was going to cost me $50+ for the 14" pulley. It's almost cheaper to purchase a new motor and get smaller pulleys. GRRRRHHH!

When I was building my mill, I had better luck in general searching for them as "sheaves" rather than pullys.

Didn't realize that it was going to cost me $50+ for the 14" pulley. It's almost cheaper to purchase a new motor and get smaller pulleys. GRRRRHHH!

Or use a larger diameter mill jar. I had no idea sump motors run that fast.

It's not a sump motor. It's a well pump. Made for 50', at most, deep wells. Imagine this:

http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/w500/pict/310356619904_/NEW-GE-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-MOTOR-5K46KN208-3450RPM-15HP.jpg

Now that is not the exact one I have. But it gives a good general idea. I'm going to see what I can come up with looking for sheaves. Thanks guys for all the help.

Most pulley assemblies are designed for a key-way mounting with set-screw.

You will need to make some modifications to the hub or the shaft to adapt to the threaded shaft.

Here is the actual motor. Attaching to the motor isn't the problem. It's the pulley that attaches to the roller. The roller is going to be 1" steel pipe. The pulley has to be 14" in diameter.

I figured with the drive pulley, they make 2" pulleys that fit onto the shaft of the motor that have keys in them. I figured I could file down a small flat part on the shaft so the key will lock into place.

post-18396-0-18263000-1374265532_thumb.jpg

You can also find sheaves that use set screws and not keys to lock it to the motor shaft. You may still have to file a small flat on the motor shaft for the set screw but it wouldn't be as bad as a keyway.

Motor looks totally enclosed which is best for a mill. Might consider using a secondary pulley arrangement to bring that 1" steel pipe speed down. Would work similar to a belt drive drill press that allows speed changes by moving belt positions.

I used 3/4" shafts with heater hose slipped over to give about 1" diameter drive roller. The drive roller will need to "grip" the jar to start and keep it rolling.