APC Forum

Visco time fuse suggestions

808goboom

Anyone have good ideas on how to make reliable visco time fuse...just curious and wanna hear other people's ideas. I do the standard " wrap visco in masking tape and hot glue around the fuse hole....comment your ideas below or how u do them.

808goboom

Well If you want "Reliable" Start with good quality Visco. I actually prefer the Chinese over the better made American because the Chinese Visco puts out a great deal more flame. I use the 3mm green visco that CannonFuse.com sells. It burns at about 30 seconds per foot but you need to test that with each batch. 3/4” wide masking tape gives me good timing for 2” shells. I would try 1” wide for 3” shells. To avoid side spit burn through, wrap the masking around the fuse at least five layers thick. I prefer Carpenters glue over hot glue. It takes longer to dry but it’s not as messy and I think it makes a stronger joint and better seal. I would also recommend that you cut the ends of the fuse at an angle to expose more of the core. I quickly dip the angle cut ends into nitrocellulose lacquer and then immediately into milled black powder dust. Nitrocellulose lacquer (acetone solvent) can dissolve the lacquer that is already on the fuse but a quick dip in the black powder helps dry things out and prevents threads from unraveling. If you can find a pair of anvil shears; they are less likely to cause accidental ignition than bypass shears. I found a stout old pair with a brass anvil and that’s all I use.

Hope that helps.

KFF

Edited by killforfood

808goboom

Thanks.yes, I do have 3mm high quality double lacquer coated Chinese visco. Burns about 23sec/ft.

Well If you want "Reliable" Start with good quality Visco. I actually prefer the Chinese over the better made American because the Chinese Visco puts out a great deal more flame. I use the 3mm green visco that CannonFuse.com sells. It burns at about 30 seconds per foot but you need to test that with each batch. 3/4” wide masking tape gives me good timing for 2” shells. I would try 1” wide for 3” shells. To avoid side spit burn through, wrap the masking around the fuse at least five layers thick. I prefer Carpenters glue over hot glue. It takes longer to dry but it’s not as messy and I think it makes a stronger joint and better seal. I would also recommend that you cut the ends of the fuse at an angle to expose more of the core. I quickly dip the angle cut ends into nitrocellulose lacquer and then immediately into milled black powder dust. Nitrocellulose lacquer (acetone solvent) can dissolve the lacquer that is already on the fuse but a quick dip in the black powder helps dry things out and prevents threads from unraveling. If you can find a pair of anvil shears; they are less likely to cause accidental ignition than bypass shears. I found a stout old pair with a brass anvil and that’s all I use.

Hope that helps.

KFF

Thanks, yes I do have 3mm high quality double lacquer coated visco. Burns around 23-24 sec a foot.