APC Forum

5" Stutata ---- Scala 8 / Red

VikingPyrotechnics

IMO breaks on inserts was pretty good, but as you mentioned little more lift is needed. What stars you used?

I used cut stars.... 10x10mm.

Comp was Ruby Red. But i used PVC instead Parlon. So the color was more

magenta.

Nice one. A real firestarter haha.

Maybe a little more spread on the initial break that spreads the inserts? I like it better when a huge amount of sky is painted with colors ;).

That is one of the down sides for 8/9 timed insert shells in the 5" size. With 4 inserts per layer, there is barely any room for burst and the subsequent spread.

Looked good. Did you add any coarse metals to the stars, or is that just coarse PVC burning off?

Yep, not much room for burst....

I added some Titanium to the stars. But i think it have to be a bit coarser for a longer tail

VP

• Like 1

#viking, well done bro!!!

Ok, some thoughts on stutatas..

I time my stutatas on 1.2 seconds with blue monetti fuse , I also overlift slightly to achieve some height.Don't be afraid to use timings slightly over a second for the main shell , the inserts will have more than sufficient momentum to maintain their correct height. So..more lift, less timing on the mothershell.

When adding titanium to coloured formulaes, use 250-450 mesh Fe/Ti, about 8/10% is enough. This works great for reddish formulaes. I ve also tried adding it to blue, this works also, but also ruins the delicate colour a bit.

Perhaps breaking with pulverone and 2 grams of apertura might help with more spread of your inserts . Be carefull with the flash though.....

Nice that you are trying for stutatas too....I absolutely love them..I always enjoy standing close to my mortar and appreciate the effect of an exploding cloud of inserts over my head..hehe..

thanks for sharing,

best

fred

Edited by fredhappy

Nice scala, thanks for sharing, I think you can use a bit smaller stars also, but maybey its a matter of personal taste.

Fred, do you actually mean 250-450 mesh? I could believe 250-450 micron, but mesh would seem far too small for any real tail.

Lift was 8%. However, I have used a new mortar and was somewhat

larger in diameter than the old one . So much energy was lost.

I had 4g booster nitrate Flash (50-20-30). At the next I'll try a bit more.

I know what you mean, but that was my first Stuta. So I went a little further away. :D

mumbles: My bad , you are correct, I meant 250-450 micron.

viking: try switching to apertura, it has more punch than nitrate flash, but a bit less than 7/3. It's the best of both worlds, and I can highly recommend it.

apertura: 35 kno3

35 perc

30 Dark al

Keep it up, you're doing fine!

best

fred

I also second fred's opinion about the booster, this has a bit more of a punch and works better when you have smaller spaces available for your break.

The way I see it: flash creates the main punch/power of the break and the blackpowder is just there to hold everything in place.

I really liked that. I sure wood like to see a tutorial on that.