APC Forum

4" with whistle to report inserts and bottom shot

WonderBoy

A 4" cylinder shell with whistle to report inserts, followed by a bottom shot. I was really pushing the limits on timing as a 4", it had about 10 seconds of total time in the air. But the bottom shot functioned perfectly, right at tree top level :D

http://youtu.be/PKSNoQTHNHU

Comments and criticism are appreciated.

WB

Interesting. Kind of like souped up go getters. What size tubes on the whistle reports?

beautiful wb i really liked that one

hehehe,....nice one wonderboy.. ;) ..

Lots of airtime, and big explosive surprises as a desert, who could ask for anything better.

Keep it up, and thanks for sharing.

best

fred

Edited by fredhappy

Thanks guys.

They were 1" ID whistles.

They were simply timed using the whistle to ignite the reports. It was a test to see how close of timing I could get just using increments of whistle.

I pressed them on a 1" tall nipple. I started all of them with an increment of BP, then pressed 1inc. of whistle for each timing. So the 1st had one inc. whistle, the 2nd had two, etc. This was capped with an inc. of clay, which had a 1/4" hole carefully hand drilled through it until it just touched the whistle.

post-939-0-10075900-1374025988_thumb.jpg

I inserted black match into this hole, then filled the entire cavity with flash and Ti. The BP on the other side was scratched, then it was nosed with kraft and blackmatch.

post-939-0-64514700-1374026007_thumb.jpg

WB

That was a great shell. That camera guy did a pretty good job ;)

No problem Don. I was kind of expecting the timing to be much worse, it seems like people often talk about whistle not working well. It wasn't super crisp, but I thought it worked OK

Yes you did P :) John lost track of the bottom shot, so he ducked for cover heh. He did get good video of your two shells though, I'll send them to you.

WB

Neat! ,,the reports creeping down, then the big door slam. Nice break color as well. Lift sounded great and the shell stayed together, nice work. Thanks for the posting.