APC Forum

Fireworks on My Father's Birthday

Shizznt

• 2 months later...

Lift and the rising tails were excellent. Your burst seemed decent, if somewhat soft, but it was hard to tell how good it was with the short duration and somewhat asymmetrical spread of the stars.

Your stars were somewhat shorter in duration to what I would consider ideal, or expected for 3/8". Most coloured stars that size would burn for several seconds. I would not be surprised if they were fragmenting to some extent, though you got a fair bit of colour coming out, so they were not all shattering completely.

They could just be really fast burning. I've seen some cases of stars with a very high metal content, such as Buell red and variants of it perform like yours did, especially if they are cut without being compacted. Porosity does not help. This could also explain the slight swimming and the imperfections in spread. It's very difficult to get a good peony without evenly sized round stars.

While I've focused on what you can do to improve, they were very successful fireworks. Good work :)

Thanks. They were fast burning thats why I'm starting to roll feline stars. The stars I used in the video are rubber stars that I screen sliced. They came out as about 1/4 inch but after I primed them, they were 3/8. I did't have the right screen to make them 3/8. But overall I liked how I did.

• 5 weeks later...

Those formulas for screen sliced parlon stars seem to burn quite fast. I would try a more common colored formulation, you should be able to screen slice them just the same way.

Those formulas for screen sliced parlon stars seem to burn quite fast. I would try a more common colored formulation, you should be able to screen slice them just the same way.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. I've been rolling veline stars, instead of the screen sliced stars. The veline stars work a whole lot better than the screen sliced.

I've used some of the formulas that the screen sliced formulas were based on. I think it's more the screen-slicing method, and particularly binding with acetone, that makes them burn so fast (and gives them an ugly tail sometimes).

I've used some of the formulas that the screen sliced formulas were based on. I think it's more the screen-slicing method, and particularly binding with acetone, that makes them burn so fast (and gives them an ugly tail sometimes).

Yes, I noticed that too. On some of my screen sliced stars there was bright yellow sparks behind them, kind of like a tail. It reminds me of cheap consumer shell stars. When the shell breaks, the consumers stars have bright yellow sparks following it.