APC Forum

Finished My Star Roller

JFeve81

I finally have a star roller. It's made out of various wood pieces from other projects, a wiper motor and power supply from Monsterguts.com, and 2 five gallon buckets. One bucket is attached to the motor and acts as a chuck of sorts while the other bucket slides into it to roll stars in. This makes it easier to unload and clean IMO. Plus I don't have to worry about the bolts damaging stars as I roll.

I've tested it by dumping in some red parlon bound mouse turds and rolling a bit of C6 on top of them. I need to get the hang of rolling but the stars seemed to cascade like they should.

I could possibly increase the angle of the buckets but for now I'll see how it does.

EDIT: Sorry for that one picture being sideways.

post-10378-0-78345000-1373773569_thumb.jpg

post-10378-0-64884500-1373773588_thumb.jpg

post-10378-0-69704000-1373773606_thumb.jpg

Edited by JFeve81

Looks good and I think I will be making one of these soon. Only thing I see is maybe add supports to the front of the arms that hold the buckets. Right now it looks like a good amount of torque on them and the two bolts holding them on. A small piece of wood next to the casters going straight down would take away all the twisting forces.

Good job.

Congrats on a very nice roller. But we need more details like what year,make and model vehicle the wiper motor came from anso the specs on the power supply. And about how many rpm is it do you think you need some sort of speed control or did you already integrate that feature into your project im very interested in all the questions i just asked as this will make ot easy for me and others to maybe follow suit. Also a video of it operating would be awesome anywho congrats on your roller

Looks good. When i built mine i just went to the Junk yard and told them to give me a windshield wiper motor, didn't care what kind. I already had a battery charger put it on 2 amps and hooked it up and started rolling stares.

Congrats on a very nice roller. But we need more details like what year,make and model vehicle the wiper motor came from anso the specs on the power supply. And about how many rpm is it do you think you need some sort of speed control or did you already integrate that feature into your project im very interested in all the questions i just asked as this will make ot easy for me and others to maybe follow suit. Also a video of it operating would be awesome anywho congrats on your roller

It's a new wiper motor that DID NOT come out of a vehicle. So as far as your first question I cannot answer. I got it here: http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

But as far as specs:

• 12 VDC has high and low speeds
  • High Speed @ 12V: 53 r.p.m.
  • Low Speed @ 12V: 38 r.p.m.
  • High Speed @ 5V: 21 r.p.m.
  • Low Speed @ 5V: 15 r.p.m.
  • Working Torque - 3.98 foot pounds (5.4 N m)
  • Static Torque - 13.27 foot pounds (18 N m)
  • Full Load: 2000mA @ 12VDC, 1080mA @ 5VDC
  • No Load: 1020mA @ 12VDC, 780mA @ 5VDC

When I times it out and counted each revolution myself I ended up getting: 42 RMP on low speed and 64 RPM on high.

Power supply is a plugs into the wall and outputs 12V at 5A and was from the same company: http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=11.

I did not use a speed controller because the few stars I tested in it seemed to roll fine. Oh and I have it set on low speed. I tried testing on high speed but with the second bucket there was just enough load to were I had to help it start spinning.

I see that you are from Texas. Which part?

• 3 months later...

simple and homemade good job.. you should post a video of it in action

Edited by SideGlance

• 5 months later...

How did you attach the bucket to the motor? Thats the only thing I have left to figure out. I did attach mine with the flat bar that came with it, to the bucket but it's not straight it wobbles.

I see that you are from Texas. Which part?

I am also from NE Texas about 2hrs from Dallas small town of Paris

Nice roller. A bucket inside a bucket. Brilliant! That's the one thing I don't like about mine. I have to tip the entire roller over to get the stars out. Not anymore. I'm "borrowing" this from you. ;)

Very nice work......!!