APC Forum

Safity when mixing different common chemicals

pixl

Does anyone know any good page that lists some guidelines regarding compatibility of common pyro chemicals?

I just want to avoid spontaneous ignitions when storing my fireworks. I only managed to find info on how unstable chlorate/sulfur mixtures are, but thats something that I would never mix anyway.

So far I have been using stars from commercial fireworks in my shells and rockets with quite nice results so I'm going to go a step further and roll my own stars. I'm planning to use perchlorate based stars and use flash as breaking charge for smaller <100g shells. Is perchlorate safe to mix with black powder? I'm concerned since sulfur+perchlorate doesn't sound as a good combination. I'm thinking to prime my stars with BP. What about sulfuric acid that is produced over time in mixtures containing sulfur?

Read up more on google, or even in this safety section. You'll find most of the information you need.

• 4 years later...
A lot of people use sulfur in KP which uses perchlorate as the oxidizer. So I think that it would be safe, but that's just me.

Perchlorate and sulfur is actually moderately sensitive to impact. I think it's a case of Perc/S sensitivity being underrated, and chlorate/S sensitivity being over rated. They take on the same order of magnitude of force to get them to pop and crackle in a mortar and pestle for instance. That said, I have no problems using KP or sulfur in perc stars, but I typically avoid chlorate/elemental sulfur mixes.