APC Forum

Unmilled tigertail stars

808goboom

Ok,so I have all the comps u need to make tt or c6 stars but no ball mill.....I read that tt or c6 stars must be ball milled but read from some people that they don't and it still works completely fine...do these stars mixes have to be ball milled? Which works better, ball milled or non ball milled?

Personally I never ballmill TT, just because they leave little longer tail. Then ballmilling basiclly particals get smaller and they burn faster with shorter tail. You can get very nice effects with milling and without it, try it yourself and see what looks better for you. Also you can ballmill comp like with only 24% charcoal, and after ballmilling just screen 20% coarser charcoal. Also you will need to get ballmill at some point anyways, so get ballmill and try stuff by your self.

Tiger Tail will be just fine without ball milling. You still get a nice, dense, hanging charcoal star. The burn might be a bit slower, with a longer tail, but I view those as benefits. Ball milling it will make the tail a bit denser, but it gets shorter as a result.

I've never been a fan of coarse charcoal, most of the time it just messes with the formula if not designed around it, and hardly seems to add anything to the effect.

Tiger Tail will be just fine without ball milling. You still get a nice, dense, hanging charcoal star. The burn might be a bit slower, with a longer tail, but I view those as benefits. Ball milling it will make the tail a bit denser, but it gets shorter as a result.

I've never been a fan of coarse charcoal, most of the time it just messes with the formula if not designed around it, and hardly seems to add anything to the effect.

Thanks...I just made a small batch of c6 Unmilled....waiting for them to dry then ill test them out and have a vid posted on my channel comparing tt milled and c6 Unmilled.

Ok,so I have all the comps u need to make tt or c6 stars but no ball mill.....I read that tt or c6 stars must be ball milled but read from some people that they don't and it still works completely fine...do these stars mixes have to be ball milled? Which works better, ball milled or non ball milled?

If you don't have a ball mill then you are supposed to use ''wet process'' for charcoal based stars.

I've found without ball milling you can get a little bit of fallout on some of the stars. Ocasionally, a little red hot ember core gets left behind and falls to the ground; especially if your stars arn't 100% dry.

I've found without ball milling you can get a little bit of fallout on some of the stars. Ocasionally, a little red hot ember core gets left behind and falls to the ground; especially if your stars arn't 100% dry.

I don't think that not ballmilling have to do something with those fallouts. It's more like they aren't dry enough. I usually have this problem then I cut stars and put them in sunny place to dry and star's surface become very dry and moisture in star core is "blocked", never had this problem when rolling, especially pumping stars though.

If you don't have a ball mill then you are supposed to use ''wet process'' for charcoal based stars.

What exactly is wet process?

wet process is used for high charcoal content based fire dust star compositions(C6,C8.TT,TW,Chrysenthemum of Mystery,willow)

Shimizu mentioned that ''To obtain the fire dust,the potassium nitrate must be soaked into the charcoal pores.

hence wet process must be used for mixing.

Your question has already been asked several times,just do search in this forum you will find the detailed description for wet process

• 2 weeks later...

:) See here more discussion posts for details of wet process.

http://www.amateurpy...emum-of-mystery

Edited by pyrowinner

• 2 weeks later...

AKA Toro method, the mix is made into a slurry with the binder as SGRS instead of Dextrin (works better with high water-content than Dextrin) and is then rolled into the cores.

The wet process they've been talking about here is different than toro for rolling.

The one they're talking about is a process in which the composition is wet, granulated, dried, and remilled. The method described in the link by pyrowinner is a little different than traditional. Most methods would only mill the granules down to about 100 mesh or so, instead of back to a complete powder before forming into actual stars. I've never tried his method, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. The more traditional method does work, and does give a very nice effect, but it is a lot of work.

The wet process they've been talking about here is different than toro for rolling.

The one they're talking about is a process in which the composition is wet, granulated, dried, and remilled. The method described in the link by pyrowinner is a little different than traditional. Most methods would only mill the granules down to about 100 mesh or so, instead of back to a complete powder before forming into actual stars. I've never tried his method, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. The more traditional method does work, and does give a very nice effect, but it is a lot of work.

I did that once with my C6, for some reason, I don't know why I granulated it, but I needed it for my stars, so I just re milled it.