APC Forum

4" inch shells on the 4th

vh718

Nice saturn, Im trying to find out what would be a nice IP for 4" I'm planning some with 2,5" IP, with 7 mm stars.

2" seems to be a bit tight with 5 or 6 mm stars.

#burning RNX: 5 mm stars+ priming amount to a total of 7 mm in diameter. These are a perfect size imo. I'd used 7mm's for my saturns in that small display, but I was displeased with the overall look and symetry. Too many open patches and a difficult to distinguish shape. Personally, I'd go for 5 or 6 mm stars for 2",for a 2.5" 6 mm should do nicely. Also, for 4"ers , 2"petals are the best. 2.5"petals are too big, and you run the risk of disturbing the ring form with migrating stars from the petal...believe me, I've tried...

Do not forget that one thick mm of prime adds a total of 2.4 mm to the overal diameter of a star. Always prime thick.

Ive uploaded some shots of 4" shells from last year in my gallery.

Those stars were around 6 mm green and kinda yellow with neglible prime layer (I didn't use screens to put it on), problably less than 0,5 mm.

this petals are made with 2" cavity formers.

I'm happy with the ignition of them, but I wouldn't use them for 2 or 2,5" OP, they will simply blow blind.

I found those IP's a little bit compact, maybey an bigger star as you say would fly further out and open it up a bit.

I'm gonna try an 2" IP also to have some comparison , I have rolled a batch 6 mm blue primed to 7 mm for IP's .

Edited by burningRNX