APC Forum

Here's my Independence Day shells

TYRONEEZEKIEL

Here they are. Let me know what you think. It was my first attempt to try 4" shells. I made 11 3" and 8 4"

You have some very nice shells! Nice symmetry, but need little work on prime.

#tyrone: Nice work. You seem to have ignition problems in some stars, other shells were pretty good and the stars ignited ok. It also seems you have a blast, nothing better than putting up some homemade shells er ;) ..

How do you prime your stars? What prime do you use? How do you apply it?

thanks for sharing,

fred

T

I liked the large symmetrical Purple Peony at 1:20.

Charcoal Twinkler at 2:08 was sweet.

At 3:10, I’m not sure what you call it but they where charcoal stars with in a double ring pattern. Very cool.

But my favorite was the crackling stars at the very end. I want to learn to make crackling and matrix stars.

KFF

Nice purples. The neighbors in the background were trying to out do you. ;)

"ohhh you're joking me!" :P

Good shells, sucks you had some ignition problems. I'd suggest using some fence post prime.

I has a post written saying that you should feel very good about your independence day shells.

I pointed out that as you were no doubt aware you had a few shells that unfortunately had blind stars, but however the almost perfect bursts on most of the shells make me quite confident that you will have this problem sorted out in short order.

In some cases I think less lift and longer burning stars would have been an improvement, but having said that (which is obvious I'm sure) I think it's a good idea to over lift and have shorter burning stars from a safety perspective when you start.

My browser crashed and after I got back on APC other posts had taken care of things - not that there is much to say other than "keep it up :) "

They looked good, like you i also had priming problems. I used a two step prime on my red, white and green stars but they didn't seem to light. Maybe i didn't put enough on them. Keep trying you will get it, next year you will be surprised.

Nice shells man. Hope my 4's turn out as good. Just haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

Awesome shells man, A few blind stars is nothing to pity about, It happens to the best of use sometimes.

The Best part is there where no flower pots :)

Anyways,

Keep up the good work bro ,

~Steven

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments. I was certainly having prime problems with a few colors, but they were all brand new formulas and I am still working out the step priming technique. I roll all my stars. Aside from the ignition problems, I really like the effect that the yellow stars had how they seem to blink on with a sparky trail.

At 3:10, I’m not sure what you call it but they where charcoal stars with in a double ring pattern. Very cool.

This was just some C8 comp rolled with some green stars thrown randomly in the shell. i am very surprised how they turned out to be 2 green rings.

I would really like to have thrown the stars out much further in my shells as well. I used about 1.5-2g of 70:30 dark Al flash for booster, but I think that wasnt enough. I may try 5g or try boosting with whistle

#tyrone: try 3.5 or even 4 gram 7/3 in a 4" shell, that should do the trick nicely. 4 grams should give you a huge break, I personally would opt for about 3 grams.

It's actually a very nice shell..........good work man.............

Tyrone you said 3:10 was perfect, so i assume that was intentional. What i cant figure out is how you got a double ring like that out of a 4" shell?

That was actually my brother who was filming for me. The only time I talk in the video is when I am talking to my younger sister, and a say "HMM" after a poor ignition. The double ring was certainly not intended to work that way. I just wanted to throw some green stars in with the C8. It just so happened that the prime on the green burned out right as the C8 finished, leaving the double ring. The way I added the green stars in was simply to make a layer of green when lining the hemis. Then I added more C8 to the top. I think it just happened to be a perfect camera angle to see both rings. I just thought it would have made a belt of green. Edited by TYRONEEZEKIEL