APC Forum

Buying in batches

ivars21

I can get this 25kg bag of KNO3 for something like 44 usd. http://www.haifa-gro...multi_k_gg.aspx

So my question is, would it be good enough for black powder and stars, as it is almost 3x cheaper than buying from pyro suppliers. What about storing this? I could divide it in smaller batches and put it in a lot of plastic bags, so that no moisture gets in.

Also I can get cheap sulphur for something like 0.5usd for kg, but I am not sure about its quality as it is sold in 50kg bags, something like these.

post-11566-0-45807100-1373109320_thumb.png

Is there any way I can determine this sulphur quality/purity? I think the best way is to get few grams and test it on black powder.

Thank you in advance.

post-11566-0-45807100-1373109320_thumb.png

Edited by ivars21

The KNO3 should be very usable. While the very highest grades of KNO3 are noticeably less affected by moisture than fertiliser grade, that does not mean that the hgrosopicity is a problem. I've used hundreds of kilos of fertilizer KNO3 in almost all of my hobby pyro, with several brands including Haifa and have yet to be unhappy or fail to get the effect I was after based on the quality of the material.

The easiest way to determine the suitability (though not necessarily the purity) is to try using it, as you say. It's quite possible that it has five percent clay, but you can still make fierce black powder, so that's not really an issue. While for the most optimum results high purity sulfur (like rubber makers) is required, the fact is that you can make better black powder with the sulfur with a bunch of clay in it, fertilizer KNO3 and decent charcoal than you actually need for anything in fireworks making.

Is the photo an accurate expression of the colour?

• Like 1

Yes, colour should be accurate. I just saw one guy selling it on web. Thank you Seymour for your input, I appreciate it!

I can get this 25kg bag of KNO3 for something like 44 usd. http://www.haifa-gro...multi_k_gg.aspx

So my question is, would it be good enough for black powder and stars, as it is almost 3x cheaper than buying from pyro suppliers. What about storing this? I could divide it in smaller batches and put it in a lot of plastic bags, so that no moisture gets in.

Also I can get cheap sulphur for something like 0.5usd for kg, but I am not sure about its quality as it is sold in 50kg bags, something like these.

Is there any way I can determine this sulphur quality/purity? I think the best way is to get few grams and test it on black powder.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting picture in fact very interesting I can only add the sulphur is low acid and will meet our requirements

Edited by Mia
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is with it being so much cheaper you could purify it yourself through recrystallization and it would still be worth your while. But for pyro technics I am sure it is fine just the way it is.
  • Like 1

You could try burning a gram or two of the sulfur in air, there should be a pale blue flame and little to no ash left.
  • Like 1

I've used haifa multi-k before without problem, they have got half a dozen different varieties sold under the multi-k brand but I'm fairly sure GG is one of the more pure ones.