APC Forum

Sulfurless Blackpowder

Polumna

hi dudes

Happy new year

I´ve got one question:

Is sulfurless bp any good???

i do a few starts with 80:20 Kno3/Willow charcoal

the kno3 was grind with a mortar then dried oon a stove, because it has clumped together,

and then i put it in a coffeegrinder(electric)

The willow charcoal was grind with a mortar.

I haven´t got a good ball mill, sso i try to make mortar and pestle bp.

I dampen the bp with 75%water/25% alcohol and grind it for 15 minutes. Then i let it dry for 3 days.

I tested it : It was very good , it took just 1 second to burn fully and there was no bp left

can i use this BP like the normal BP-Mix for fountains, rockets etc or is this Bp too bad???

Any suggestions would be great

polumna

Of course you can use it for fountains and rockets. The only problem with sulphurless BP is that it has a tendency to be harder to light. If it works use it.

One thing though, sulfurless has a smaller gas production rate, this means that if you take 1g of BP and 1g of sulfurless powder the sulfurless will clearly be inferior to regular BP.

Sulfur less was historically used in big naval guns and bigger field cannons (back in napoleonic times). This was due to the fact the sulfer was not very easily obtainable and if the grains were formed into perforated prizms the powder would out perform regular BP by a long shot, the sulfurless type was also much more forgiving on the cannon barrel as the initial peak pressure was lower than that of BP, the burning rate of sulfurless depends much more one pressure than that of BP so if you could keep the shell in the barrel for a longer time you could achieve higer muzzle velocities. But this is far too much trouble for a pyrotechnician trying to fire a couple of aerial shells so it's best to stick to our trusty BP. Makes good experimentation though and is fun.

If you want extreme burn rate (when used as a propellant in a cannon or something) use rye charcoal this makes it somewhat more sensitive but it supposedly makes a powder that is 3 times faster burning than regular BP.

Stay green

hi ho

should i cook the rye seed or the straws????

polumna

hi ho

should i cook the rye seed or the straws????

polumna

The straw should be cooked, but beware, if you cook it like regular charcoal it will be shit, you should cook it untill it gets somewhere around a brown colour, this way it will keep all the volatiles that make sulfurless powder burn quickly. Cook it to perfection and it'll be shit.

hi

what about using the straw what u use for your pets, would that work????

polumna

hi

what about using the straw what u use for your pets, would that work????

polumna

No, that is most likely activated carbon. Activated carbon is cooked until all of the good volitiles and oils are gone, so it makes shitty BP. Mumbles also made a post some time ago that its not just the volitiles being cooked away, but the molecular positions or something. I will look for it.

hi dudes

i have a question:

i´ve got a rye field nea my house, there are very wet straws and they weren´t fresh any more.

Can I use them ???

PS:Is it true that the sulfurless BP with rye charcoal is three times faster???

videos would be great:)

I use the 80/20 ratio kno3/willow charcoal.

i´ll record a vido next time and post it :)

bye dudes

polumna

• 4 years later...
It depends on the source. Some is decent, some is crap. It's not as consistent as real wood charcoal.